Skriven 2007-01-05 23:31:50 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0701052) for Fri, 2007 Jan 5

President Bush Nominates John Negroponte as Deputy Secretary of State and
Vice Admiral Mike McConnell as Director of National Intelligence

Office of the Press Secretary
January 5, 2007

President Bush Nominates John Negroponte as Deputy Secretary of State and
Vice Admiral Mike McConnell as Director of National Intelligence
The Roosevelt Room

President's Remarks view

˙˙˙˙˙ Fact Sheet: John Negroponte and Mike McConnell: The Right Choices for
Deputy Secretary of State and Director of National Intelligence

9:45 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Mr. Vice President, thank you. Madam Secretary, thank you
for joining us. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the White House. I am
pleased to announce that I intend to nominate Ambassador John Negroponte to
be our next Deputy Secretary of State, and Vice Admiral Mike McConnell to
be America's next Director of National Intelligence.

Under the leadership of Secretary Rice, the men and women of the State
Department are working to expand freedom and defend America's interests
around the world. The Deputy Secretary of State is a key role in shaping
American foreign policy and in guiding our diplomats deployed around the
globe. The Deputy Secretary also helps our nation's chief diplomat manage
the State Department, and helps coordinate with other federal agencies so
that America speaks to the world with one voice.

I have asked John Negroponte to serve in this vital position at this
crucial moment. John Negroponte knows the State Department well. After all,
he started there in 1960 as a Foreign Service Officer in the administration
of President Eisenhower. In the four-and-a-half decades since, he has
served our nation in eight Foreign Service posts, spanning three
continents. He served as Deputy National Security Advisor to President
Reagan. He represented America at the United Nations. He served as our
first ambassador to a free Iraq. And for nearly two years, John has done a
superb job as America's first Director of National Intelligence.

John Negroponte's broad experience, sound judgment and expertise on Iraq
and in the war on terror make him a superb choice as Deputy Secretary of
State, and I look forward to working with him in this new post.

Ambassador Negroponte leaves big shoes to fill as the Director of National
Intelligence. The DNI has become a core part of our national security team.
The DNI determines the national intelligence budget, overseas the
collection and analysis of intelligence information, ensures that
intelligence agencies share information with each other, and creates common
standards for intelligence community personnel. The vigilance of the DNI
helps keep the American people safe from harm.

Admiral Mike McConnell has the experience, the intellect, and the character
to succeed in this position. He served as Director of the National Security
Agency during the 1990s. He was the intelligence officer for the Chairman
of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the liberation of Kuwait in Operation
Desert Storm. Admiral McConnell has decades of experience, ensuring that
our military forces had the intelligence they need to fight and win wars.

He's worked with the Congress and with the White House to strengthen our
defenses against threats to our information systems. He has earned our
nation's highest award for service in the intelligence community. As DNI,
Mike will report directly to me, and I am confident he will give me the
best information and analysis that America's intelligence community can
provide.

I thank John and Mike for taking on these new challenges. I appreciate
their service to our country. Each of them will do good work in their new
positions. And it is vital they take up their new responsibilities
promptly. I'm confident the United States Senate will also see the value of
these two serving in crucial positions. And I would hope that they would be
confirmed as quickly as possible.

Congratulations to you both. Thank you very much.

AMBASSADOR NEGROPONTE: Thank you very much, Mr. President, Mr. Vice
President, Secretary Rice, Admiral McConnell. It's been a great honor, Mr.
President, to serve as your first Director of National Intelligence. I will
always be grateful to you for having given me the opportunity to help
achieve the goals that you and the Congress set for intelligence reform.

During the past 20 months, I believe that our intelligence community has
embraced the challenge of functioning as a single unified enterprise, and
reaffirmed the fact that it is the best intelligence community in the
world, second to none. That's to the credit of the hundreds -- the
thousands of intelligence professionals who serve this nation around the
globe, many in harm's way. They and their families make great sacrifices to
keep America safe. It has been a privilege to lead them, and it is because
of them that I leave the post of the Director of National Intelligence with
regret.

But I am heartened to know that the intelligence community now will be led
by Admiral Mike McConnell, a man whose exceptional accomplishments as an
intelligence professional will ensure wise stewardship and success as the
Director of National Intelligence. Admiral McConnell will continue to drive
forward the reforms we have initiated, fully integrating the domestic,
foreign and military dimensions of our national intelligence enterprise.

Now for someone who started his career as a junior foreign service officer
in October of 1960, the position, Mr. President, to which you are now
nominating me is a -- an opportunity of a lifetime. If confirmed by the
Senate as Deputy Secretary of State, I look forward to supporting Secretary
Rice in carrying out your foreign policy goals. I particularly welcome the
opportunity to help her provide leadership to the thousands of Americans
and foreign nationals who work in the Department of State here in the
United States, and in the more than 270 embassies, consulates, and
diplomatic missions the Department maintains overseas.

Whether in Baghdad, Kabul, Kosovo, or elsewhere, these dedicated
professionals are on the front line of advancing America's commitment to
freedom. It will be a great privilege for me to come home to the Department
where I began my career and rejoin a community of colleagues whose work is
so important and of whom the nation is so justly proud.

Thank you very much.

THE PRESIDENT: Good job. Thank you. Michael.

VICE ADMIRAL McCONNELL: Mr. President, Mr. Vice President, Secretary Rice,
Ambassador. Thank you very much, sir, for your kind remarks and your vote
of confidence in asking me to become your second Director of National
Intelligence. If confirmed by the Senate, I look forward to serving you,
Mr. President, the nation's senior leadership and all the great men and
women of our national security and homeland security communities.

I understand these people rely on timely and useful intelligence every day.
After spending most of my adult life in the intelligence community, focused
on getting the right information to the right decision-maker in the right
time and format, I'm excited about returning.

Fortunately, my work over the past 10 years after leaving government has
allowed me to stay focused on the national security and intelligence
communities as a strategist and as a consultant. Therefore, in many
respects, I never left. I have followed the issues and the initiatives, and
I hope to be quickly and directly relevant to build on the many
accomplishments of Ambassador Negroponte and his team.

Unlike just a decade ago, the threats of today and the future are moving at
increasing speeds and across organizational and geographic boundaries. This
will require increased coordinated responsiveness by our community of
intelligence professionals. I plan to continue the strong emphasis on
integration of the community to better serve all of our customers. That
will mean better sharing of information, increased focus on customer needs
and service, improved security processes, and deeper penetration of our
targets to provide the needed information for tactical, operational and
strategic decision-making.

Public service has always been my passion. I look forward to serving this
great nation as we continue to fight on the global war on terrorism and to
face the many new challenges of the new century.

I want to thank my wife, Terry, and my wonderful family and our
grandchildren for their support as I take on these new challenges.

Thank you again, Mr. President. All the best, Mr. Ambassador, for your new
leadership role at the Department of State.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all.

END 9:55 A.M. EST

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/01/20070105-2.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)