Skriven 2007-03-07 23:31:36 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0703077) for Wed, 2007 Mar 7

Interview of the President by Natalia Orozco, RCN TV of Colombia

For Immediate Release Office of the Press Secretary March 7, 2007

Interview of the President by Natalia Orozco, RCN TV of Colombia The Map
Room

˙˙White House News

˙˙˙˙˙ President's Trip to Latin America

11:45 A.M. EST

Q Thank you, Mr. President, for this time with RCN TV Colombia.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. I'm really looking forward to going to Bogot .

Q Thank you, Mr. President. I have to start by asking you this. You're
arriving to Bogot when President Bush -- President Uribe is facing a deep
crisis because of we've got a political scandal. Does this affect the
support, the confidence that you have always expressed to him?

THE PRESIDENT: No. As a matter of fact, I've been very impressed by how
he's handled this latest issue. President Uribe is a very strong leader;
he's committed to justice; he believes in fairness; and he's a man who has
proven he can get things done. And so my confidence in the President is
very high. And I'm looking forward to expressing that confidence about --
to not only the people of Colombia, but also to the people in my Congress.

Q Mr. President, $4 billion invested in Plan Colombia, but the drug keeps
coming to the United States, and the leader of the guerrillas remains at
large. Why do you support a second phase of the same Plan Colombia?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, thank you for that question. First of all, we've had a
lot of successes in working together. I recognize there's still a lot of
drogas coming here. Part of that has to do with we still use drugs, and
we've got to do a better job of convincing people to stop using drugs. But
we've also stopped a lot of drugs from coming. And therefore, I can argue
to the Congress and the people that there has been a lot of notable
successes. And the truth of the matter is Colombia has changed to the
better as a result of the Plan Colombia. There's still bad activities going
on, but it's a lot less than it was before.

Q Mr. President, public opinion in Colombia, as well as in the U.S.
Congress is divided about the free trade agreement. Will you be ready to
reopen those negotiations in order to make it pass?

THE PRESIDENT: No, I don't think we want to reopen the negotiations. We've
had good, strong negotiations between our respective parties. Obviously if
there's some fine-tuning necessary -- but we've negotiated good agreements
and I'm going to have to work hard with our Congress, and the President is
going to have to work hard to convince the people of Colombia that trade is
fair. And if I were a farmer in Colombia, or a small business person in
Colombia, I'd want to be in a position to be able to sell my products into
a large market like the United States.

And these trade fights are always tough, and I want to make sure, though,
that we work to have a world that trades freely and fairly, because it's
the best way to eliminate poverty.

Q Are you concerned about the influence that President Chavez is gaining in
the region? As many experts have said, is your trip also an answer to that?

THE PRESIDENT: No, my trip is a chance to tell the people of Colombia and
Uruguay and Brazil and Guatemala and Mexico that the United States cares
deeply about the human condition. My budget this year has got -- or last
year has $1.6 billion of bilateral assistance. Much of that money is spent
on social justice programs -- programs like education and health care.

You know, oftentimes, people really don't understand the United States, and
my trip is to really explain to people that we believe in education for
all. We believe in human rights and human dignity. We believe in
prosperity, and the people of this country have been very generous in their
help and support to people.

Q But are you concerned about the influence of Mr. Chavez in the region?

THE PRESIDENT: Each country is going to have to make up their own mind
about the systems of government. To the extent that people feel like they
can nationalize companies I think is a mistake. I'm very much in favor of
open systems, free press, the right for people to assemble and express
their mind.

My trip, however, is all aimed at explaining to the people of South and
Latin America that good foreign policy for the United States is to promote
a prosperous and peaceful neighborhood.

Q Mr. President, today, have you the feeling that the policy applies to
Cuba has done any good for the Cubans in the island?

THE PRESIDENT: I think the worse thing that's happened for the Cuban people
on the island is the fact that they're not free. And my position is, it is
important for people to be free, and that if there is a transition to a new
way in Cuba, it's got to be decided by the Cuban people. They should be
allowed to freely assemble, they should be allowed to speak their minds,
there ought to be strong rule of law. My position has been, and will
continue to be, that a free Cuba is what is necessary for the people of
Cuba.

Q Thank you, Mr. President. There are three Americans held by the FARC now.
Do you think President Uribe should achieve the humanitarian exchange, or
should he insist in the military rescue?

THE PRESIDENT: I trust President Uribe's judgment, and my message isn't to
President Uribe. My message is to the FARC, and that is to give up these
hostages. You're making it clear to the world the kind of people you are
when you take innocent life and hold them hostage. And it's very sad for
the families here in America. I'm deeply concerned about their fate.

Q Mr. President, how long is the United States willing for the extradition
of the narco para-military terrorists that remains in Colombia, because
they are part of the peace process?

THE PRESIDENT: How long will we wait for the extradition process?

Q Right.

THE PRESIDENT: I'll work with the President on that. That will be a subject
matter in my private discussions with President Uribe.

Q Mr. President, do you think that with the military aid, President Uribe,
with the help of United States, is going to be able to win the war against
terrorism in Colombia?

THE PRESIDENT: I think that a war against terror can be won by firm
resolve, plus a alternative to repression, kidnapping, murder, and drugs.
And one thing that President Uribe has done is laid out a vision. A lot of
people have come in from the jungles, as you know, because they realize
there's a better way of life.

We all have a lot of work to do in our respective countries to make sure
every person has a good education and good, decent health care. But when
people realize there is a better tomorrow, it's much easier for a man of
peace, like Uribe, to deal with a difficult problem that he inherited.

Q President Bush, what is the best memory that you have of all this time
working with Colombia, so close, having Colombia as one of your main
allies?

THE PRESIDENT: You know, I think it's the fact that I have a very honest
relationship with President Uribe. He loves his country. He is a very
strong proponent of Colombia, and the people of Colombia. We don't agree on
ever single issue, of course, but I do respect his courage, and I respect
the fact that he's done a good job in office. And I'm really looking
forward to going back to Colombia. I've been, as President, once before. I
can't wait to come back, this time to your beautiful capital city.

Q Thank you, Mr. President, for your time. We wish you a wonderful and
successful trip.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you.

END 11:52 A.M. EST

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/03/20070307-7.html