Skriven 2007-03-16 23:31:48 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0703162) for Fri, 2007 Mar 16

President Bush and Prime Minister Bertie Ahern of Ireland Participate in
Shamrock Ceremony

For Immediate Release Office of the Press Secretary March 16, 2007

President Bush and Prime Minister Bertie Ahern of Ireland Participate in
Shamrock Ceremony The Roosevelt Room

˙ Video (Windows) ˙˙White House News

˙˙˙˙˙ In Focus: Global Diplomacy

9:55 A.M. EDT

PRIME MINISTER AHERN: Mr. President, distinguished guests, it's a great
pleasure and honor to return here to the White House this morning to wish
you a Happy St. Patrick's Day. This ceremony symbolizes, in a very special
way, the bonds between our two peoples. We're two countries of vastly
different scales, but we're two peoples linked in a profound and a unique
way. It's entirely fitting that through this ceremony, we give expression
and salute to many Irish who have helped build this great country and
celebrate the journey that Ireland has made from dark times past to the
confident, modern and successful country it is today.

Mr. President, I'm glad to be able to say on this St. Patrick's Day, 2007,
that peace in Ireland is a reality and that our people enjoy success
unimaginable to earlier generations. In achieving this, we've been able to
count on America as a true partner and a generous friend. This country and
our many friends here have stood with us at all times, helped build our
peace and contributed enormously to our economic success. This, then, is a
moment to celebrate and, most of all, to say thank you.

I would like to recognize the work of Ambassadors Mitchell Reiss and James
Kenny in recent years, and now Ambassador Tom Foley and Under Secretary
Paula Dobriansky, whose commitment to responsibilities we greatly
appreciate.

Mr. President, when we met here last year, I shared with you our considered
strategy to build confidence and restore the political institutions in
Northern Ireland. I'm glad to say that this strategy has led us to a point
where power-sharing and the restoration of the political institutions are
in prospect later this month.

In last week's election in Northern Ireland, the people gave a strong and a
very clear message. After so many years of delay and disappointment, they
now accept that the key outstanding issues which have frustrated progress
have been addressed, and that the time has come to Northern Ireland to move
on.

The will of the people in Northern Ireland is unmistakable and undeniable.
They want their political representatives now to take responsibility
together in government for building and consolidating peace. They want
Northern Ireland finally to settle and to be at ease with itself. I salute
all those in Northern Ireland who courageously made the journey with us and
brought the peace process to this point of completion.

Prime Minister Blair and I will spare no effort, Mr. President, to support
the parties in every way that we can as they take the essential and
historic last steps that lie ahead. Time is pressing, and it is our deepest
wish -- and I know that you share with us, Mr. President -- that nothing
should allow the process to falter at this final moment. Your support is
deeply and always appreciated, and will continue to be a vital source of
encouragement to us all.

Mr. President, this year, two significant anniversaries of events in 1607
are being celebrated: the settling of Jamestown, Virginia, in the United
States, and the Flight of the Earls from Ireland to Europe, which
effectively inaugurated the Irish diaspora. That settlement in Virginia was
followed a century later by the emigration from Ireland, which brought a
proud Scots-Irish tradition to these shores, a heritage which is widely
celebrated and embraced today.

Mr. President, each new generation of Irish arriving in this country has
made is own contribution and helped assure a unique relationship. The
generation of Irish who have arrived here more recently are themselves now
putting down new and deep roots and our a precious asset as we build a
relationship and keep it fresh and vibrant for the future.

I want to thank you for your support for a comprehensive and balanced
solution to the current challenges facing the immigration system in the
United States. You've offered real leadership on this sensitive issue. The
resolution of this issue would mean an enormous amount to so many Irish men
and women, and I fervently hope that they will, in the not too distant
future, be able to step away from the shadows and into the sunshine of this
great country.

Mr. President, I believe that we are closer than at any time in our past in
Ireland to a final resolution of one of the oldest conflicts in history. I
hope that our journey can give inspiration and hope to other parts of the
world that are in conflict, or where people are suffering and in despair.
The plight of the poorest in the world, the search for peace throughout the
Middle East, global warming, air transport and trade liberalization are but
a few of the vital and complex challenges demanding the attention of the
international community. I look forward to discussing many of these wider
issues with you this morning, and also to reviewing our bilateral
relations.

Mr. President, thank you once again for your support, for your friendship.
I'm pleased to present this shamrock as a symbol of the very special
kinship between Ireland and the United States. And to you, Mr. President,
Happy St. Patrick's Day.

(The shamrock is presented.) (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. Taoiseach, good morning --or should I say, "top
o' the morning." I'm really pleased that you came back to the White House.
I'm looking forward to our discussions. And I cannot thank you enough for
your strong leadership in resolving the issues of Northern Ireland, and I
stand ready to help.

I gratefully accept the bowl of shamrocks. I am delighted that you have
joined us, once again, to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. St. Patrick's Day is
an occasion that unites two distinct groups of Americans: those who are of
Irish descent, and those who wish they were. (Laughter.) Whether they're
Irish today or every day, Americans are grateful for our country's Irish
heritage, and the enduring friendship that exists between Ireland and the
United States is strong.

The ties that bind our two nations stretch all the way back to our
country's founding. Ireland gave us at least nine signers of the
Declaration of Independence, and many more who risked their lives to defend
it. Irish Americans fought valiantly to preserve the union in our Civil
War. They helped turn back the totalitarian ideologies of the 20th century.
And they're fighting bravely in today's war on terror, risking their lives
to secure a future of freedom and peace for generations to come.

Many of Ireland's sons and daughters came to our shores to escape poverty
and famine. Once here, they helped us build and strengthen this great
nation with their gifts of industry and talent and faith. Irish workers
build our railroads, our cathedrals, and our cities. Irish writers and
musicians have enriched our literature and our culture. Irish priests and
nuns established parochial schools that have helped generations of children
build lives of prosperity and purpose. And with their many contributions,
Irish Americans remind us of our heritage as a nation of immigrants, and
our duty to remain a welcoming society.

In 1783, President George Washington -- I refer to him as the first George
W. -- (laughter) -- wrote to recent Irish immigrants in New York that
"America is open to receive the oppressed and persecuted of all nations,"
and he expressed his wish that the blessings of equal liberty and
unrestrained commerce would one day prevail in Ireland.

Well, today, Ireland is a free, independent, and very prosperous nation.
Ireland now has one of the fastest growing economies in Europe. And over
the past decade, our two nations have enjoyed a strong and growing trade
relationship. And as Ireland prospers, a land whose people came to America
seeking a better life is now attracting to its own shores immigrants with
those very same dreams.

It has been said that the Irish, like the presence of God, are to be found
everywhere. On this St. Patrick's Day, we're grateful for the presence of
the Irish in our country. And we are blessed by your presence here at the
White House, Taoiseach. I thank you for coming to help us celebrate St.
Patrick's Day, and honor the friendship between our two nations. In the
words of the Irish proverb: "May the Lord keep you in His hand and never
close His fist too tight." (Laughter.)

Thanks for coming. (Applause.)

END 10:04 A.M. EDT

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/03/20070316-2.html