Skriven 2007-04-19 23:31:02 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0704191) for Thu, 2007 Apr 19

Press Gaggle by Dana Perino

For Immediate Release Office of the Press Secretary April 19, 2007

Press Gaggle by Dana Perino Aboard Air Force One En route Tipp City, Ohio

˙˙Press Briefings

12:03 P.M. EDT

MS. PERINO: A quick update. The President had a phone call this morning
with President Karzai. They spoke this morning at 7:50 a.m., from the Oval
Office. The President reaffirmed the joint partnership and strong
relationship shared between the two countries. They discussed ongoing
security operations against extremist elements, as well as progress on
implementation of the comprehensive approach, security, governance, and
economic development and reconstruction. They also talked about ongoing
counter-narcotics efforts.

Both Presidents look forward to continuing to work together to build a
prosperous and free Afghanistan, and fighting extremism in the global war
on terror.

He had his normal briefings this morning, after his phone call with
President Karzai. We are on our way to Tipp City, Ohio, and on board is
Congressman John Boehner. This is his district.

At 1:00 p.m., the President makes remarks on the global war on terror. He
will take questions from the audience. And then we arrive back at the White
House at 4:00 p.m. -- 4:10 p.m.

And there is a quick note that this is National Volunteer Week. As you
know, President Bush has been very encouraging of all Americans to answer
the call to service, to love their neighbor by giving their time, talents,
and energy to comfort those in need. During National Volunteer Week, USA
Freedom Corps has mobilized the Cabinet, and last week we put out a
compilation of their volunteer service activities that you can check out on
that week-ahead document. And also, of course, any American that's
interested in volunteering can check out opportunities at a website,
Volunteer.gov.

With that, I'll take your questions.

Q Dana, does Attorney General Gonzales's testimony on Capitol Hill have any
bearing whatsoever on his job status?

MS. PERINO: As I've said many times, the President has full confidence in
the Attorney General. The Attorney General looked forward to the hearing
that is taking place right now. Of course, the President has not seen any
of that testimony. As I told you, he's had a busy morning, and now we're on
our way to Tipp City, Ohio. And I haven't seen any of the testimony,
either. But clearly, we would hope that there were no preconceived notions,
or canned talking points that the senators had in mind before they had this
hearing. They said they wanted to get to the facts, and I'm sure that the
Attorney General will be fully responsive to their request.

Q So is it fair to say that no matter what the testimony, no matter what
the back-and-forth, that the President plans to stick with Attorney General
Gonzales?

MS. PERINO: I think -- yes. I think the President has full confidence in
the Attorney General and whenever that changes for any public servant,
we'll let you know, and I see no indication of that.

Q Are you concerned that pressure is building on Paul Wolfowitz? There was
a report yesterday that his deputy suggested in a private meeting that he
step down.

MS. PERINO: As we've said before, the President has confidence in Paul
Wolfowitz, Mr. Wolfowitz had apologized, and that the review board -- the
board was undergoing a review, and that that was appropriate to let them
finish that, because they're an independent agency -- let that process take
place.

Q Does the President think that what he did was appropriate?

MS. PERINO: What the President has said is that Paul Wolfowitz apologized,
and to let the board do its work.

Q Okay, so the White House will respect whatever decision the executive
board decides, whether that's --

MS. PERINO: I've not heard it characterized any other way.

Q I'm just -- if the executive board decides to keep him, or release him,
or suggest that he leave, will the President respect that decision either
way?

MS. PERINO: Well, frankly, I don't know how that board -- I don't know how
that works in terms of the structure. It's an independent agency, but let
me look into how that works. I don't know if the board recognizes something
--

Q Okay. Like a vote of no confidence, or something?

MS. PERINO: I don't know, I'll have to look. Tony Fratto can help in the
meantime, if you guys can't catch me this afternoon.

Q Anymore on the event today, the questions that people are asking? Are
these prescreened questions? Are they just going to be picked at random?

MS. PERINO: No -- in fact, the Chamber of Commerce distributed the tickets,
except for a handful that went to Congressman Boehner's office. And we
didn't announce until today that the President would be taking questions,
so there was no prescreening of anyone who is attending the event.

Q Dana, is the President at all concerned about reports concerning
Doolittle and his fundraising? Specifically, the President spoke on his
behalf at a fundraiser in October, and Mr. Doolittle's wife apparently
received tens of thousands of dollars as commission. Is there any concern
from the White House or the President?

MS. PERINO: Well, I think what you're referring to are the reports about
FBI action, and given that it is FBI action and that is within the
Department of Justice and a Justice Department matter, I would decline to
comment on it from here.

Q But the President was personally there at the fundraiser, so does he have
any personal concern that perhaps this wasn't handled in an above-board
fashion?

MS. PERINO: I can ask; I haven't heard that.

Q Dana, has the President been briefed, or seen at all the disturbing
footage of the Virginia Tech shooter, the video and the photos?

MS. PERINO: That is a good question. He didn't say and I didn't ask him on
the short flight that we had from the White House to Andrews Air Force
Base. And so let me take it back. I would doubt it. I know, obviously, he
looks at the papers in the morning, but I don't know if had the television
on, or not.

Q Is there -- perhaps not yet, but do you have any reaction? I take it
you've seen the footage -- any reaction you can offer on behalf of the
White House?

MS. PERINO: Again, I think that it's important for the investigation to be
completed by the Virginia Tech Campus Police and the various state and
local authorities that are looking into this. What it does tell us is that
there was, unfortunately, a very disturbed and deranged individual who was
a loner on campus and who needed help for his own mental health, and that
did not happen in time to prevent a tragedy. And so I think that's one of
the things that, as a society, we're going to have to continue to think
about, as to how do you recognize the signs of somebody who is so disturbed
that they would take 32 innocent lives, and then their own? It's just
something that we're really going to all have to struggle with.

I'm sure that the families are having a very difficult time in the days
following this event on Monday. And the President holds them in his
thoughts and prayers -- and Mrs. Bush, too. They were very honored to be
there on Tuesday, and it deeply affected them.

Q Can I just follow up on one thing? I think I had you saying the President
has full confidence in Attorney General Gonzales, and then the President
has confidence in Paul Wolfowitz. Is there a distinction there?

MS. PERINO: No.

Q Dana, some housekeeping -- who did the President visit downstairs before
boarding?

MR. DECKARD: I'll get you the names.

Q Thank you.

END 12:12 P.M. EDT