Skriven 2007-05-11 23:31:02 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0705115) for Fri, 2007 May 11

Vice President's Remarks at a Rally for the Troops

For Immediate Release Office of the Vice President May 11, 2007

Vice President's Remarks at a Rally for the Troops USS John C. Stennis

˙˙˙˙˙ In Focus: Defense ˙˙˙˙˙ In Focus: Renewal in Iraq

2:20 P.M. (Local)

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Thank you. A reception like that is almost enough to
make me want to run for office again. (Applause and cheers.) I said almost,
almost. (Laughter.)

But I'm delighted to be here today and it's great to be welcomed aboard
this great American carrier. I've been in the Middle East this week for
meetings with friends and allies, and on a journey like this I always like
to spend some time with the men and women who go to work every day
defending the United States of America. So I'm delighted to be with this
great Battle Group, the crew of the USS John C. Stennis, and the men and
women of Air Wing Nine.

It's good to see all of you, and it's a special privilege to visit the
Stennis. This fine ship's company is comprised of sailors from across the
United States - from New York to Ohio ... from Florida to Texas ... from
Missouri to California. (Cheers.) Anybody here from Wyoming? (Cheers.)
Well, it's a small contingent, but it's quality, I can tell. (Laughter.)
You think it'd be bigger, given the breadth of Wyoming's coastline and our
maritime traditions. (Laughter.)

While I'm here, I want to thank the individual squadrons of CVW Nine:
Strike Fighter Squadron VFA 154 - the "Black Knights" (cheers) ... VFA 146,
the "Blue Diamonds" (cheers) ... VFA 147, the "Argonauts" (cheers) ...
Marine Strike Fighter 323 - the "Death Rattlers" (cheers) ... Tactical
Electronic Warfare Squadron 138 - the "Yellowjackets" (cheers) ... and
Carrier Early Warning Squadron 112 - the "Golden Hawks" (cheers) ... Sea
Control Squadron 31 - the "Topcats" (cheers) ... Fleet Logistics Support
Squadron 30 - the "Providers" (cheers) ... and HS-8 - the "Eightballers"
(cheers).

As Admiral Quinn noted - and I've been around for a while -- so long, in
fact, that I even knew Senator John Stennis personally. But I've never been
more proud of the United States military than I am today. It's an
incredibly challenging time for the country, and there's serious work being
done on many fronts. You're doing all that we ask of you, and you're doing
it with skill and with honor. So I'm here to say thank you ... and to bring
greetings from our Commander-in-Chief, President George W. Bush. (Applause
and cheers.)

The last time I stood on the deck of the Stennis was five years ago, during
Operation Enduring Freedom. There's been a lot of activity in the five
years since, and this warship and the JCS Strike Group have been at the
center of many great events. It's not easy duty to serve in this part of
the world. It's a place of tension and many conflicts. Throughout the
region our country has interests to protect and commitments to honor. With
two carrier strike groups in the Gulf, we're sending clear messages to
friends and adversaries alike. We'll keep the sea lanes open. We'll stand
with our friends in opposing extremism and strategic threats. We'll disrupt
attacks on our own forces. We'll continue bringing relief to those who
suffer, and delivering justice to the enemies of freedom. And we'll stand
with others to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons and dominating
this region. These are important duties, and they must all be done at the
same time. There's no way we could do it all without you, and all those who
have stepped forward to serve our country. America is a nation that keeps
its promises - and for that, we can thank the men and women of the United
States military. (Applause and cheers.)

Our presence here has been vital for many years, but never more than in the
time since September 11th, 2001. The John C. Stennis was in the fight
early, deploying to the Arabian Sea just weeks after 9/11. Since the war on
terror began, this carrier has sailed thousands of nautical miles, and
thousands of sorties have been flown from the deck above us. Thanks in part
to this ship's company and Air Wing Nine, we've struck major blows against
the al-Qaeda network that hit America. (Applause and cheers.) We've removed
two dictatorships that sponsored terror, liberated 50 million people from
tyranny, deterred aggression, and stood by young democracies, as America
always does.

The work goes on, because the set of challenges that arrived on 9/11 is
unlike any other this nation has ever faced. The war against al-Qaeda
terrorists is not a matter of finding an opposing army and engaging it, or
finding a navy and sinking it. The terrorist enemies are hidden and
dispersed. They view the entire world as a battlefield - and that is why
we're dealing with them systematically, from Afghanistan to Iraq. This
enemy is determined to commit indiscriminate murder against innocent,
unsuspecting men, women, and children. They serve an ideology that rejects
tolerance and demands total obedience. It's an extreme and hateful ideology
- and what it's done is to drive 19 men to get on airplanes and to come to
kill 3,000 Americans.

The terrorists who have declared war on America have made Iraq the central
front in that war. Osama Bin Laden and his lieutenants believe they can
wear us down, break our will, force us out, and make Iraq a safe haven for
terror. They see Iraq as the center of a new caliphate, from which they can
stir extremism and violence throughout the region, and eventually carry out
devastating attacks against the United States and others.

The terrorists have stated these ambitions clearly, and they intend to
pursue them with ferocity. The United States, also, has made a decision: As
the prime target of a global terror campaign, we will take the fight to the
enemy. We will not sit back and wait to be hit again. (Applause.)

While the forces of violence inflict harm and grief on the Iraqi people,
the citizens of that country have shown their courage, and fortitude, and
their own desire for freedom and self government. They defied assassins and
car bombers to vote in three national elections. They have adopted the most
progressive, democratic constitution in the Arab world. And they have
elected men and women to lead Iraq on a path to reconciliation, progress,
and peace. Success in Iraq remains critical to our national security.

The ultimate solution in Iraq will be a political solution. But that
requires basic security, especially in Baghdad, where our troops are
working beside Iraqi forces to carry out a new strategy. In our briefings
in Iraq in these last few days, General Petraeus underscored the fact that
the enemy tactics are barbaric ... that we can expect more violence as they
try to destroy the hopes of the Iraqi people. But they told me as well of
the progress that's been made in fighting al-Qaeda terrorists, seizing
weapons, and getting actionable intelligence. The job now is to persevere
in every area of operations - from Baghdad, to Anbar Province, to the
border areas. And I think General Petraeus's own words put it best: "We
cannot allow mass murderers to hold the initiative. We must strike them
relentlessly. We and our Iraqi partners must set the terms of the struggle,
not our enemies. And together we must prevail." (Applause.)

The United States of America has learned the lessons of history. Nearly six
years ago, we saw that dangers can accumulate on the far side of the world,
yet still find us in our own country. We've learned as well that terrorist
attacks are not caused by the use of strength ... they are invited by the
perception of weakness. You and every member of our military can be certain
that America will stay on the offensive in the war on terror. The
Commander-in-Chief and his national security team understand the threat -
the enemy's changing tactics and its unchanging nature. We know that we're
not dealing with adversaries that will surrender or suddenly come to their
senses. So we'll be flexible. We'll do all we can to adapt to conditions on
the ground. We'll make every change necessary to do the job. And I want you
to know that the American people will not support a policy of retreat. We
want to complete the mission, we want to get it done right, and then we
want to return home with honor. (Applause and cheers.)

Each and every one of you needs to know how much your service means to our
country. We're grateful to you, and to your families back home - because
they, also, make sacrifices for America.

Our nation has accepted many serious responsibilities. To be credible, our
forces must be able to deploy wherever they're needed - and this, in turn,
requires the power to sail the oceans of the world, in control of the
surface, the sub-surface, and the skies overhead. That's the business
you're in - and when you're on board a carrier the work goes on around the
clock, seven days a week. Each one of you is here for a reason. You have a
job that has to be done well, no matter whether someone sees it or not.
Your service makes a difference for a nation at war, and improves the
chances that one day we'll see a world at peace. (Applause.)

You will always be able to take pride in your service in the United States
Navy and Marine Corps. (Applause and cheers.) This world can be messy and
dangerous - but it's a world made better by American power and American
values. The cause we serve is freedom. That cause is right. That cause is
just. That cause will prevail.

Thank you. (Applause and cheers.)

END 2:35 P.M. (Local)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/05/20070511-5.html