Skriven 2007-06-13 23:30:58 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0706134) for Wed, 2007 Jun 13

President Bush Makes Remarks Via Satellite to the Southern Baptist
Convention Annual Meeting

For Immediate Release Office of the Press Secretary June 13, 2007

President Bush Makes Remarks Via Satellite to the Southern Baptist
Convention Annual Meeting

˙˙Presidential Remarks
˙˙Audio

11:43 A.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all. Frank, thank you very much. (Applause.) Thank
you for your kind introduction. I really appreciate you giving me a chance
to speak to the annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention, right
there in my home state of Texas. I appreciate the fact that messengers from
all over the nation have gathered in San Antonio this week. You could have
chosen a cooler time of the year to visit, but I'm sure you'll still
experience our famous Texas hospitality.

I appreciate the fact that you're meeting to join in prayer and to seek a
common direction for the ministry of Southern Baptist churches. I thank you
for your Christian witness, I thank you for your defense of religious
liberty, and I appreciate your many good works that make our nation a
stronger and more hopeful place. See, every day Southern Baptists are
giving back to their communities and ministering to those in need. And you
made our nation stronger as a result.

You have contributed millions of dollars to fight world hunger, and logged
countless hours in disaster relief and rebuilding. You've provided training
to lift people out of poverty and dependency, and you've spread the Gospel.
You've loved your neighbors as yourselves. In other words, you've made a
great contribution to our country. And I appreciate that.

I also appreciate the fact that Southern Baptists are supporting our brave
men and women in uniform, and their families. (Applause.) I know you pray
for their safety as they defend our people and extend the hope of freedom
to the oppressed across the globe. I appreciate the fact you've sent care
packages, and tend to the spiritual needs as military chaplains or kneel in
prayer. I thank you as you support those who volunteer to serve our nation.

Just like our troops, you have the gratitude of the Commander-in-Chief as
we do the hard work necessary to defend our country, and at the same time,
lay the foundation of peace.

I appreciate the fact that Southern Baptists understand the importance of
fair-minded and impartial judges to our democracy. (Applause.) I was proud
to nominate John Roberts and Sam Alito to the Supreme Court. (Applause.)
And I will continue to nominate good judges who will interpret the law and
not legislate from the bench. (Applause.)

Southern Baptists have committed to building a culture of life, and my
administration shares that great goal. Since taking office I've signed the
Born Alive Infants Protection Act, and the Unborn Victims of Violence Act,
also known as Lacy and Connor's Law. I've refused to fund programs overseas
that promote or perform abortions. (Applause.) I used my first veto on a
bill that would have compelled American taxpayers to support the deliberate
destruction of human embryos. And I will veto any bill Congress sends me
that violates the sanctity of human life. (Applause.)

I worked with Congress to pass the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act, and
since I spoke to you last year, the Supreme Court upheld this vital law.
(Applause.)

I believe building a culture of life in our country also means promoting
adoption and teaching teen abstinence, funding crisis pregnancy programs,
and supporting the work of faith-based groups. (Applause.) In defending the
lives of the weakest and the most vulnerable members of our society we
reflect the compassion and humanity of America. And we will continue to
work toward the day when every child is welcomed in life and protected in
law. (Applause.)

I thank the Southern Baptists who are working to promote a culture of life
abroad by helping lead the fight against malaria and HIV/AIDS. Southern
Baptists run hospitals and provide medical care to many suffering from
malaria and HIV/AIDS across Africa. In Uganda, Southern Baptists sponsor an
abstinence program called True Love Waits. And thanks to efforts like
yours, Uganda has made progress against HIV/AIDS. And now you're building
on the success by expanding this important program to six more countries in
Africa.

My administration shares your sense of urgency in the fight against these
terrible diseases. And that's why we created a $1.2 billion malaria
initiative to provide protection to people in some of the most heavily
affected countries in Africa. So far we have helped more than 10 million
Africans, and we expect to reach a total of 30 million people by the end of
2007. (Applause.)

We're also combating the spread of HIV/AIDS. In 2003, my administration
launched a $15 billion Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief. And thanks to the
generosity of the American people, and support in Congress, we have
supported lifesaving treatment for 1.1 million people infected with HIV in
some of the poorest nations on Earth. (Applause.)

This program makes a huge difference in saving lives. And so, last month, I
asked Congress to double our initial commitment and provide an additional
$30 billion for HIV/AIDS prevention treatment and care over the next five
years. And the reason why is, is because I firmly believe, like Southern
Baptists believe who are working to raise awareness about the suffering
that takes place in the world, that to whom much is given much is required.
And by dealing with disease, infectious diseases, we can make the world a
better place, and that helps us here at home.

I also believe it helps lift our soul and lifts our spirits when we help
those who suffer among us. And that's why I strongly support what you're
doing and helping to do in the Darfur region of Sudan. I appreciate the
fact that my friend, Richard Land, is working tirelessly to help those
suffering in that troubled nation.

For too long, the people of Darfur have suffered at the hands of a
government that is complicit in the bombing, rape and murder of innocent
civilians. The world has a responsibility to end this genocide and to hold
accountable those perpetuating the violence. And America has taken the
lead. So two weeks ago, I announced new actions to address this
persecution. The Department of Treasury is tightening existing economic
sanctions against Sudan, and we're imposing additional ones. Secretary Rice
is working with our allies to draft a new U.N. Security Council resolution
that will seek to impose new sanctions, expand an arms embargo, and
prohibit Sudan's government from conducting offensive military flights over
Darfur.

The people of Darfur are crying out for our help, and the Southern Baptists
and the United States will not turn away, because we believe that what
matters overseas matters here at home. (Applause.)

God has blessed our nation with prosperity and great abundance. And I
firmly believe, like you, that we should use our resources to help those
that need here at home, and help those who need abroad.

And this is a central part of the work of the Southern Baptist Convention.
You're rising to meet the challenges of broken souls, in a broken world,
with compassion and courage. You're living out the call to spread the
Gospel and proclaim the Kingdom of God. And I thank you for your
leadership, and I thank you for the prayers that you offer to Laura and me.
And I thank you for your strong voice in the public square.

May God bless you, and may God bless America. Thank you. (Applause.)

END 11:54 A.M. EDT
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/06/20070613-4.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)