Skriven 2007-07-17 23:31:02 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0707175) for Tue, 2007 Jul 17

Fact Sheet: Implementation of the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza

For Immediate Release Office of the Press Secretary July 17, 2007

Fact Sheet: Implementation of the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza
A One-Year Summary Of Efforts To Better Protect Our Nation Against The
Threat Of Pandemic Flu

ÿÿWhite House News

ÿÿÿÿÿ In Focus: Pandemic Flu

Today, The White House Homeland Security Council Issued A One-Year Report
On The Administration's Progress In Implementing The National Strategy For
Pandemic Influenza. ÿThe United States is better positioned today to detect
an outbreak of pandemic flu earlier, to support an international effort to
contain the pandemic in its earliest stages, to limit the spread of a
pandemic, and to save lives.ÿ
  þ In May 2006, The Administration Issued The National Strategy For
    Pandemic Influenza Implementation Plan, Which Provides A Roadmap To
    Achieve The Federal Government's Pandemic Preparedness And Response
    Goals. ÿ
  þ We Have Made Great Strides Over The Past Year To Complete The Actions
    Outlined In The Implementation Plan.ÿEighty-six percent of all actions
    due within 12 months under the Implementation Plan have been
    completed.ÿ The remaining 14 percent of actions are in progress and are
    expected to be completed by the 18-month mark.[1]

We Are Confronting The Threat Of An Influenza Pandemic At Its Source

The United States Has Made Pivotal Contributions To Control The
International Spread Of H5N1. ÿThrough the International Partnership on
Avian and Pandemic Influenza, we are working with affected countries and
international partners to detect, contain, and prevent animal outbreaks;
reduce human exposure to the virus; and enhance planning and preparedness
for future outbreaks.ÿ
  þ The United States Is Working On Avian Influenza Issues In More Than 100
    Countries To Combat The Spread Of Avian Influenza And Prepare For A
    Possible Pandemic.
      þ Over the past year, the U.S. Government has supported the training
        of more than 129,000 animal health workers and 17,000 human health
        workers in H5N1 surveillance and outbreak response.
      þ We have deployed more than 300,000 personal protective equipment
        kits to more than 70 countries for use by surveillance workers and
        outbreak-response teams.
      þ U.S. experts have provided vital technical expertise to national
        investigations of actual outbreaks of H5N1 in countries on three
        continents and provided technical assistance, commodities, and
        logistical or financial support to 39 of the 60 countries and
        jurisdictions affected by H5N1.
      þ The United States is supporting efforts to improve laboratory
        diagnosis and early warning networks in 75 countries.
  þ The United States Is Working To Expand On-The-Ground Surveillance
    Capacity And Improve Knowledge About The Movement And Changes In H5N1
    On A Global Scale By:
      þ Creating the Wild Bird Global Avian Influenza Network for
        Surveillance project;
      þ Enhancing the Global Emerging Infections Surveillance and Response
        System;
      þ Funding the World Health Organization Global Outbreak Alert and
        Response Network;
      þ Expanding the network of Global Disease Detection Centers; and
      þ Providing the genome sequences of more than 2,250 human and avian
        influenza isolates as a result of the Influenza Genome Sequencing
        Project to track genetic changes in viral strains.

The United States Is Now Better Prepared To Respond To An Outbreak Of
Pandemic Influenza

The United States Has Developed Protocols And Trained Personnel To Support
An International Effort To Contain The Pandemic In Its Earliest Stages.ÿ We
have pre-positioned stockpiles of personal protective equipment,
decontamination kits, and antiviral medications overseas to complement
global efforts to contain pandemic outbreaks.

The Administration Has Made Significant Investments In Vaccines, Antiviral
Medications, And Research That Will Help Safeguard Our Nation And Benefit
The World.ÿThe Administration is investing in the expansion of vaccine
manufacturing capacity, the advanced development of new cell-based
vaccines, vaccine-stretching technologies known as adjuvants, and the
establishment and maintenance of pre-pandemic vaccine stockpiles.
  þ We have invested more than $1 billion in the development of new vaccine
    technologies.
  þ In April 2007, the U.S. Government approved the first pre-pandemic
    vaccine for humans against the H5N1 virus.ÿ We currently have enough of
    this pre-pandemic H5N1 vaccine for approximately 6 million people.
  þ The U.S. Government has invested more than $100 million in adjuvants.ÿ
    Initial clinical studies suggest that adjuvants to H5N1 vaccines could
    stretch our vaccine supply 10- to 20-fold.
      þ As of June 2007, Federal and State stockpiles contain enough
        antiviral medications to treat nearly 50 million people.
      þ The U.S. Government is developing new antiviral medications to
        further broaden our capabilities.

In February 2007, The U.S. Government Released Federal Guidance For
Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions For Mitigating The Impact Of A Pandemic.ÿ
Recent scientific modeling and historical reviews of the 1918 pandemic
suggest that non-pharmaceutical interventions could be very effective at
slowing the spread of disease and mitigating an outbreak.ÿ With the use of
antiviral medications, they could potentially prevent illness and death in
millions of Americans, but only if they are implemented early and
maintained consistently across communities affected by a pandemic. ÿThe
Community Mitigation Guidanceprovides a clear roadmap for communities to
accomplish these objectives.

The U.S. Government Has Invested In Health System Preparedness, Has
Produced Tools To Assist In Planning For Expansion In Hospital Capacity
During A Pandemic, And Is Stockpiling Critical Medical Supplies.
  þ The Community Planning Guide for Providing Mass Medical Care with
    Scarce Resources offers specific recommendations for providing the
    highest possible standard of care where resources are limited.
  þ The U.S. Government has invested $600 million over the past year for
    State and local preparedness efforts, including the exercising of
    community mitigation measures, medical surge plans, and mass
    inoculation plans.
  þ The U.S. Government has developed new guidelines and protocols to
    enhance the delivery of EMS and 9-1-1 services during a pandemic.

We Have Provided Businesses With Practical, Action-Oriented Information To
Identify Essential Functions, Protect The Health Of Employees, Maintain
Continuity Of Business Operations, And Sustain Society.
  þ The U.S. Government has developed the Pandemic Influenza Preparedness,
    Response, and Recovery Guide for Critical Infrastructure and Key
    Resources.
  þ The Federal Government has conducted more than 150 presentations,
    workshops, and forums attended by thousands of key stakeholders from
    critical infrastructure entities.
  þ Partners from Federal, State, local, territorial, and tribal emergency
    medical services, fire, emergency management, law enforcement, and
    public works departments have come together to develop best practices
    and model protocols, to coordinate pandemic preparedness activities,
    and to standardize all-hazards training and exercises.

We Have Made Significant Progress Over The Past Year, But Much Important
Work Lies Ahead

Strengthening Disease Detection And Biosurveillance:ÿWe must redouble
efforts to develop "real-time" clinical surveillance in the United States,
so that we are able to target and refine our efforts more effectively
during a pandemic.

Expanding Medical Capacity To Care For Large Numbers Of Ill Patients:
ÿDespite our investments and the development of guidance for communities,
much more work is necessary to ensure that communities are prepared to care
for the burden of illness that would be presented during a severe pandemic.

Addressing Global Needs:ÿThe U.S. Government is committed to working with
the pharmaceutical industry, our international partners, and the World
Health Organization toaddress global vaccine development and vaccine
access.

Implementing Community Mitigation And Building Community Resilience:ÿWe
must continue to work with non-Federal stakeholders to address practical
implementation considerations, including legal and feasibility concerns.

[...]

# # #

[1] Due to ongoing scientific and policy analyses, the deadlines for 14
actions were postponed and not included in this summary.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-5.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)