Skriven 2005-02-26 23:33:18 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (050226) for Sat, 2005 Feb 26
President's Radio Address

February 26, 2005

President's Radio Address

˙˙˙˙˙Audio

THE PRESIDENT: Good morning. This past week I was in Europe, where I had
good discussions with our friends and allies about how to meet the mutual
challenges we face: spreading freedom and democracy, defeating terrorism,
expanding prosperity and promoting peace. In our meetings, we reaffirmed
the vital importance of the transatlantic alliance for advancing these
common interests and values.

Now that I'm back home, I'm eager to move ahead with one of my top domestic
priorities: strengthening and saving Social Security. I have already met
with tens of thousands of you in nine states to discuss this important
issue. During the recent congressional recess, many senators and
congressmen have held their own town hall meetings to discuss Social
Security reform with their constituents. For example, Senator Rick Santorum
hosted forums all across Pennsylvania this week. And Wisconsin Congressman
Paul Ryan held nearly three dozen listening sessions in his district. I am
pleased with the progress of the national discussion on this issue, and I
look forward to hearing everyone's ideas when the Congress returns.

˙Radio Address
  ū 2004
  ū 2003
  ū 2002
  ū 2001
˙Radio Interviews
  ū 2004
Meanwhile, I'll be visiting New Jersey and Indiana next week, and I plan to
keep traveling across the country to talk about Social Security. I will
continue to reassure those of you born before 1950 that your Social
Security benefits will not change in any way: You will receive your checks,
and that is a fact.

I will also make clear to younger workers that Social Security is heading
toward bankruptcy. Massive numbers of baby boomers, like me, will soon
begin to retire. People are living longer and benefits are scheduled to
increase dramatically, and fewer workers will be paying into the system to
support each retiree. For you younger workers, the current system has made
promises that it cannot keep -- and that is also a fact. Every year we wait
to address this problem will make any eventual solution more painful and
drastic, and we will saddle our children and grandchildren with an
ever-greater burden. We need to act now to fix Social Security permanently.

As we fix Social Security, we must also make it a better deal for younger
workers. I have proposed allowing you to set aside part of your payroll
taxes in personal retirement accounts. These accounts would be voluntary;
the money would go into a conservative mix of bond and stock funds that
would have the opportunity to earn a higher rate of return than anything
the current system could provide. And that money would provide a nest egg
to supplement your traditional Social Security check or to pass on to your
children. Best of all, it would replace the empty promises of the current
system with real assets of ownership.

I have said repeatedly that all options are on the table for strengthening
Social Security, with the exception of raising the payroll tax rate. I'm
willing to listen to any good idea. And I will work in good faith with
members of Congress from both parties on this issue. Some in Washington
want to deny that Social Security has a problem, but the American people
know better and you have the power to determine the outcome of this debate.

I encourage all Americans, particularly our younger workers, who have so
much at stake, to ask your elected leaders what they intend to do to keep
the promise of Social Security alive in the 21st century. Saving Social
Security will not be easy, but if you make clear that you expect your
leaders to confront problems head on, not pass them on to future
generations, I am confident that we will put aside partisan politics in
Washington and meet our duty to you, the American people.

Thank you for listening.

END
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/02/20050226.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)