Skriven 2005-05-13 23:34:34 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0505135) for Fri, 2005 May 13
President Welcomes 2004 NCAA Spring and Fall Sports Champions

Office of the Press Secretary
May 13, 2005

President Welcomes 2004 NCAA Spring and Fall Sports Champions
The East Room

President's Remarks
"); //--> view

2:02 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Please be seated. Thank you. (Applause.) Welcome to the
White House, the people's house. We're glad you're here. Today we honor
four outstanding NCAA championship teams. The -- it's a great -- I love
this day in the White House. It's a chance to honor people who have worked
hard, made right decisions with their lives, and served something greater
than themselves -- their team. So, really glad you're here. I hope you're
excited -- as excited about being here as I am as excited about receiving
you.

I first want to say thanks to Congresswoman Anna Eshoo for coming. I think
-- I suspect you're here to support the mighty Stanford Women's Volleyball
team. Ed Royce from California is here. He's a Cal State grad -- Cal State,
Fullerton grad. And you like baseball. Yes. All right, good. I'm glad Marie
is with you -- welcome, Marie.

I want to thank Mike Sodrel for coming. Mike, it's good to see you, sir,
and your wife, Keta. Mike is from Indiana. He's here because of the Men's
Soccer team -- right, Michael? Good. Glad you all are here.

Milton Gordon is the President of Cal State, Fullerton, and his wife, Dr.
Margaret Faulwell Gordon -- I'm glad you all are here. Mike Freitag, the
head coach, is with us from mighty Indiana University; his wife Renee and
his daughter Hannah. Welcome.

I appreciate Randy Waldrum, who's the head coach of the University of Notre
Dame Women's Soccer team. Randy, it's good to see you, sir. I know your son
is here, as well. I appreciate George Horton, who is the baseball coach at
Cal State, Fullerton. I want to thank John Dunning, who's the head coach of
the Women's Volleyball team at Stanford. I welcome his wife Julie, and his
daughter Lauren.

But most of all, I want to thank the players who are here. Good going, and
congratulations. (Applause.)

The first team we honor is the Indiana Men's Soccer team. They are the
champs for the second year in a row. (Applause.) I kind of like that idea,
back-to-back trips to the White House. (Laughter.) Glad you all are back.
And the championship game was pretty darn exciting, wasn't it? The game was
tide after regulation, 20 minutes of overtime. It came down to penalty
kicks. Congratulations. Coach, I want to congratulate you, as well. Pretty
good job for a rookie. (Laughter.)

One of the interesting things, when the Coach made the decision on the
back-to-back championship -- he said, if we win, the team can go ahead and
shave his head. That's something we don't want to get started here in the
White House. (Laughter.)

Interestingly enough, the team made an incredibly generous gesture -- they
purchased a water buffalo in Laura and my honor and gave it to a family
overseas, so that the family could better make a living. And I want to
thank you for that great act of generosity. (Applause.) Thank you all. It
really does mean a lot.

I want to welcome the Notre Dame Women's Soccer team. I think it helps a
lot you've got coaches from Texas. (Laughter.) What do you think? Yes.
Anyway, what a great victory the women's team had, as well. You beat UCLA
on penalty kicks. I loved your slogan, like, GOAT -- Greatest Of All Time
-- in reference to your team. I appreciate you setting high standards and
working hard. And congratulations on a job well done. (Applause.)

And the mighty Titans from Cal State, Fullerton had a motto of their own --
the motto was, "Think How Good It's Gonna Feel." I didn't feel so good for
the Longhorns. (Laughter.) But I do want to congratulate you. I love
baseball. I was telling the players, that's my favorite sport of all. It's
a hard game to play, and it's definitely a team game, and it's really hard
to win the national championship -- in all sports. And this is a team that
was, like, under .500 in your first 30 games, or so, and then you went 32
out of 38 for the final -- in the final stretch of the season.

I really appreciate what Coach Horton said -- he said, about the
championship victory, "I still have chills. It's not from the cold water
that was dropped on my head." (Laughter.) You don't have much hair to
protect your head anyway, but -- (laughter.) That was kind of a cheap shot,
wasn't it? (Laughter.) The guy is a pretty good coach, though. Good luck.

I also want to welcome the Stanford Women's Volleyball team. I was telling
the women from Stanford that I was just with Condoleezza Rice, former
provost of Stanford University. I said, come by and welcome the home girls,
come by and tell them, good going for the second visit in four years to the
White House. She said she had to meet with a leader from another nation. So
she sends her best to you.

I want to welcome you all back here. I appreciate the fact that you won 15
games in a row and you weren't supposed to win the championship. You know,
sometimes they count you out of a race -- (laughter) -- a little too soon,
right? (Laughter.) But we're glad you're back.

And I want to thank all the teams. I particularly want to thank all the
teams not only for being such good role models as you play your games, but
also off the fields of play. And it's really important that you recognize
that, as champs, there's some person watching you and some person trying to
learn from you, and some person that if you -- whose life you can affect
more than you know.

And so, when I'm told that the Indiana Men's Soccer team volunteer for
youth soccer programs and go to schools encouraging people to make good
choices in life, it heartens my soul. And I want to thank you all for doing
that.

You just don't know what it means to be a champion and have an eighth-grade
kid or a seventh-grade kid hear from a star -- make a good choice. Love a
neighbor like you'd like to be loved yourself. And the Notre Dame Women's
Soccer players volunteer at an after-school program. That's great. You
know, it can't be a greater gift than to teach a child to read, or to
encourage a child to read. It's a lasting legacy. Frankly, it's more
important than a sports trophy. And I want to thank you for doing that.

I appreciate the Stanford Women's Volleyball players who read to children
at local elementary schools, and then help young girls learn the great
value of being on a team sport through a volleyball clinic. Keep doing it,
not only as college students, but after you get out. It's one great way to
serve our nation. And I appreciate the fact that the Cal State, Fullerton
players took time out of the World Series last year to go to the hospital
and say something to somebody who hurts.

What I'm telling you is, you can be a champ on the field and you can be a
champ off the field. You'll have a full life when you're able to say to
yourself, I've really helped somebody in need.

Congratulations for setting such a great example. Welcome to the White
House. Maybe you'll be back next year. I'll be here to greet you if you
come back. God bless. (Applause.)

END 2:11 P.M. EDT

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/05/20050513-5.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)