Möte BIBLE, 3563 texter
Skriven 2011-01-11 17:50:53 av Greg Goodwin (1:123/789.0)
Ärende: LESSON 13 - Baruch: Building a Legacy in a Crumbling World
LESSON 13
*December 18 - 24

Baruch: Building a Legacy in a Crumbling World

SABBATH AFTERNOON

Read for This Week's Study:

Isa. 53:1-5; Jer. 7:1-11; 28; 45; Matt. 6:25-34.

Memory Text:

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it
is because there is no light in them" (Isaiah 8:20).
 The world, as Baruch knew it, was drawing to a close. Jerusalem and Judah were
in their final moments. Assyria, which had dominated the ancient Near East for
well over two hundred years, was internally divided, engaged in civil war, and
losing its grip on its vassal states. Meanwhile, a new superpower was on the
horizon: Babylon. For a little time, Judah had some respite and, under good
king Josiah (640-609 B.C.), the nation managed to expand its territory and
renew its commitment to the worship of the true God. However, with rapid
changes occurring at the end of the seventh century B.C., time was running out
for Jerusalem. King Josiah died in battle against the Egyptians (2 Kings
23:29). His sons, reigning after him, did not have the same status as their
father, and they rebelled repeatedly against Babylon, a fatal  mistake.
Finally, in 586 B.C., Jerusalem was taken, the temple destroyed, and many
Judeans taken captive.

Baruch lived in this time of dramatic change and loss. However, though his
world was crumbling, he left a legacy that no king or war could destroy.

What can we learn from Baruch, our final background character in the Bible?

*Study this week's lesson to prepare for Sabbath, December 25.
SUNDAY
December 19

Baruch's World

Baruch's world was constructed around certain political, economic, and
religious realities that dominated his nation at that time. Politically
speaking, the country of Judah was chafing under the yoke of Babylonian
domination. Strong nationalistic undercurrents affected all areas of society.
People wanted to be free of Babylon. Economically, things were going quite
well, at least for a sector of the population growing wealthier by exploiting
the poor. And, of course, there was the religious system of ancient Judah,
which was to form the foundation for all the society.

Read Jeremiah 7:1-11. What are some of the crucial moral and spiritual problems
the people were being warned about? What parallels might we be able to draw to
our own time today? Give special attention to verse 4. What were the people
being told there, and what lesson can we take from that for ourselves?

Baruch's name means "one who is blessed," and Baruch does seem blessed. He was
a scribe, which meant that he was a highly educated man. He seems to have come
from a family of scribes, and he had the correct family connections.

Exactly how Baruch is drawn into the service of the priest and prophet Jeremiah
we are not told. Perhaps it is the solidness of Jeremiah's connection to God
that draws Baruch to him. Indeed, the social, political, and economic ideal
that Jeremiah preaches is firmly rooted in God's revelation. Jeremiah is not
afraid of standing up for the Word of God, even when it is deemed politically
incorrect to do so. Through his visions, Jeremiah has unique insights into the
fallibility of the structures that his society trusted in, and he was called
upon by the Lord to warn the people about what their actions would lead to if
they didn't change their ways. Perhaps it was his desire to be a part of this
that led Baruch into his special role.
Read again Jeremiah 7:1-11. How might these words apply to you, in your own
walk with the Lord? What things in your life need amending? What "lying words"
might you also be trusting in? What other "gods" might you be walking with? How
open and honest with yourself are you willing to be in confronting these
questions?
MONDAY
December 20

Jeremiah's Scribe

The book of Jeremiah provides us with some unique glimpses into the writing
process of the Bible. Baruch, Jeremiah's scribe, is actually participating in
the transmission and preservation of God's Word. In Jeremiah 36:4, Jeremiah
calls Baruch and--as he dictates a message to the people--Baruch copies it all
down on a parchment scroll. This is an excellent illustration of how
inspiration works. First, God does not physically take control of the prophet
Jeremiah and move his hand as he writes. Rather, God gives Jeremiah visions and
messages. Normally the prophet then formulates the message and writes it down.
In this particular case, Jeremiah himself did not do the writing but dictated
to Baruch, who then wrote it down. Baruch also communicates the message in
public. Because Jeremiah is out of favor in the court and has been denied
access to the temple, Baruch  reads the prophetic message in the temple on a
holy day. Baruch never claims to be speaking for himself or even for Jeremiah;
the message comes from God.

Read the story of Hananiah in Jeremiah 28. In what ways does this narrative
reveal the principle revealed in Isaiah 8:20?

God's message does not flatter or bend to public opinion. It is not always, or
even very often, "politically correct." Nor does God's message contradict
itself; human interpretations of the message might be contradictory, but never
the message itself.

In Jeremiah 28:7-9, the prophet refers to the unity of Scripture built on the
firm foundation of fulfilled prophecy. The false prophet's untimely death in
this chapter vividly reinforces this important principle.

The point is that God has given us not only His Word but also very good reasons
for trusting in that Word, even when we come to parts that we don't understand
or sections that offend our sensibilities. The Bible doesn't save us, Jesus
does; but He has revealed Himself to us more fully in the Scriptures than He
has anywhere else.
There are many forces at work to weaken our trust in the Word of God. Identify
some of those forces and ask yourself how you can protect yourself from them.
After all, if we stop trusting in the messages of the Bible, what is left to
trust in?
TUESDAY
December 21

Thwarted Ambitions (Jeremiah 36)

The seriousness of the situation finally seemed to be dawning on the people of
Judah. In Jeremiah 36:9, the people gathered in the temple for a day of fasting
before the Lord. Through his professional connections with other scribes,
Baruch manages to secure a good public place, in the window of Gemariah at the
entrance to the temple. Here Baruch proceeds to read the scroll that he has
written at Jeremiah's dictation. After Baruch's reading of the message, court
officials ask him to give them a private reading. After inquiries as to where
the message comes from, the officials decide to bring it to the king's
attention. For a brief moment it looks as if there might be change in Judah.
For Baruch this is a moment of hope. Should things turn around, then his
support for Jeremiah will pay off. In the possible reformation he will be a man
of importance, maybe elevated  to a high position in the government.

What did the king's response mean to the future hopes of Baruch, at least on a
professional level? See Jeremiah 36.
Scrolls were made of papyrus and were expensive. They had to be copied by hand.
This made each scroll a scarce and precious resource. This particular scroll
was God's message to King Jehoiakim. The king and his servants showed a
deliberate insult to God by systematically cutting and burning the scroll. The
burning of the scroll meant the loss of many hours of hard work by Baruch.

Baruch, who may have hoped for an honored position in court, now realizes that
he has backed the "wrong" player and effectively sabotaged his future as a
scribe at the royal court of Jerusalem. He also has angered the most powerful
man in the kingdom. Here's a clear case where someone's stand for the Lord has
cost him something.

Together with Jeremiah, Baruch is now a marked man. Royal agents comb the city,
seeking to get hold of these defeatists. Following God is no path for cowards
or people who want to use God in order to make a nice career for themselves.
Being God's messenger does not represent a life driven by personal ambition but
rather involves letting God's will unfold in our lives, whatever the cost. At
times, that cost can be very great.
What has following the Lord cost you? When was the last time you had to lose or
sacrifice something important to you because you stood for a biblical principle
or for a commandment from God? Think through the implications of your answer,
whatever it is.
WEDNESDAY
December 22

Woe Is Me!

The Lord has a special message just for Baruch (Jeremiah 45). And no wonder,
considering the circumstances.

First, the historical reference to the fourth year of Jehoiakim in Jeremiah
45:1 puts chapter 45 after chapter 36. Jeremiah is most probably in prison, and
the prospect of a revival among the leaders of Judah no longer seems probable.
Second, Baruch's future, at least from an earthly perspective, seems bleak at
best. Thus, as Jeremiah 45:3 states, Baruch is having what might be called "a
bad day." Of course, feeling dejected, sad, or depressed is a natural part of
our human existence on our fallen earth. There are many reasons for feeling
this way, and one should never think that it's wrong or sinful to have these
feelings. Depending upon the circumstances, it almost would seem inhuman not to
have them. Certainly plenty of biblical characters had their moments of despair
(see 1 Kings 19:4; Job 6:2, 3; Ps. 55:4). We fool ourselves if we think that,
somehow, we are going to escape them ourselves.

Read Isaiah 53:1-5. What kind of mood and feelings are depicted here, and who
is one who is suffering these feelings? What should that tell us?

What's most important for us to remember during times of emotional distress and
sadness is that this doesn't mean God has forsaken us. It means only that, as
with all fallen humanity, we will suffer in this life. Whether the suffering is
our own fault or not doesn't, in one sense, matter. What matters is that we,
amid our suffering, do not let the evil one use our grief to turn us away from
the Lord or make us bitter and resentful against Him. What matters is that we
claim God's promises of forgiveness, of healing, of a better future and a new
life in a new heaven and a new earth.

We all long for things to go well; we all long for a better existence, here and
now. But often, given the nature of our world, that doesn't happen or at least
it doesn't happen as we imagine we would like it to. Hence, how important that,
amid whatever we are going through, we don't forget the great hope that awaits
us once the horrible experience of sin, suffering, and death is forever over.
What are some of your favorite Bible promises about the new heaven and new
earth? Read through them, pray over them, and ask the Lord for the faith to
hang on until the time when you, yourself, will be living in them.

THURSDAY
December 23

What Is in It for Me?

Read Jeremiah 45. What does this passage tell us about God? What does it tell
us about Baruch?

Baruch is sad, in pain, restless, and worn out. Baruch sees all of his life
work being uprooted, all of his dreams vanishing like a mist.

God's heart is pained, too. He has tenderly planted and watched over Israel.
Like a parent agonizing over a stubborn, rebellious child--the Lord has warned
and pleaded with His people for over a thousand years. Baruch's pain and
sadness are but a faint reflection of God's. Perhaps this is why God's heart
always is touched by our sorrows. We never weep alone. The God who knows the
"number of hairs" on our heads takes the time to address a despondent scribe
and gives him hope and encouragement. In the judgment that was soon to fall on
Israel, Baruch would be saved. God would preserve his life. The expression
found in verse 5 ("thy life will I give thee for a prey") also can be found
reflected in other parts of the book of Jeremiah (Jer. 21:9, 38:2, and 39:18).
It evokes the figure of a soldier escaping with his life after a defeat in
battle.

Paradoxically, salvation comes only through "defeat." It was in the humiliation
and apparent defeat at the cross that Jesus won the victory. It is only as we
are willing to stop fighting and surrender our lives, plans, and future to God
that we can find security. It's when we are willing to totally surrender all
that we become secure in the Lord.

What similarity can you note between Jeremiah 45:1-5 and Matthew 6:25-34?

In Jeremiah 45, God reminds Baruch of what really is important. In Matthew 6,
Jesus reminds us that our lives are more important than our earthly
possessions. For all his dreams of greatness, in the hour of disaster all that
really mattered was Baruch's life. Ironically, even though Baruch missed out on
a great future in the Jerusalem political scene because of his loyalty to
Jeremiah, this connection really saved his life and gave him a far bigger
legacy than anything he could ever have dreamed of.

It is this legacy that we have searched for in the shadow figures of the Old
Testament that we have studied over the past 13 weeks. Most of the people we
have gotten to know a little better were not the major power brokers of their
particular time, but their names or titles have been recorded in Scripture so
that we can learn from them, from both their successes and their failures.

FRIDAY
December 24

Further Study:

"Taking another roll, Jeremiah gave it to Baruch, 'who wrote therein from the
mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the book which Jehoiakim king of Judah had
burned in the fire: and there were added besides unto them many like words.'
Verses 28, 32. The wrath of man had sought to prevent the labors of the prophet
of God; but the very means by which Jehoiakim had endeavored to limit the
influence of the servant of Jehovah, gave further opportunity for making plain
the divine requirements.

"The spirit of opposition to reproof, that led to the persecution and
imprisonment of Jeremiah, exists today. Many refuse to heed repeated warnings,
preferring rather to listen to false teachers who flatter their vanity and
overlook their evil-doing. In the day of trouble such will have no sure refuge,
no help from heaven. God's chosen servants should meet with courage and
patience the trials and sufferings that befall them through reproach, neglect,
and misrepresentation. They should continue to discharge faithfully the work
God has given them to do, ever remembering that the prophets of old and the
Saviour of mankind and His apostles also endured abuse and persecution for the
Word's sake."--Ellen G. White, Prophets and Kings, p. 437

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (Macintosh/20100228)
 * Origin: Fidonet Via Newsreader - http://www.easternstar.info (1:123/789.0)