Möte BIBLE, 3563 texter
Skriven 2011-01-11 17:50:54 av Greg Goodwin (1:123/789.0)
Ärende: LESSON 2 - Divine Provision for Anxiety
LESSON 2
*January 1 - 7
Divine Provision for Anxiety

SABBATH AFTERNOON

Read for This Week's Study: Gen. 3:6-10; 15:1-3; John 14:1, 2; Matt. 6:25-34;
18:3; Phil. 4:11, 12.

Memory Text:

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7, NIV).
 Scripture is filled with verses containing words such as afraid, anxiety,
anxious, fret, frightened, and terrified. Many references have to do with what
people are anxious and fearful about; others with the promises of divine
reassurance to those who are fearful or anxious. The message "Do not be afraid"
runs across Scripture with strength and persistence.

And why not? After all, fear and anxiety have been part of human existence
since sin entered this earth. Anxiety, or fear about what may happen, is one of
the most dangerous emotions for mental and physical health. A medieval legend
tells of the traveler who one night met Fear and Plague on their way to London,
where they expected to kill 10,000 people. The traveler asked Plague if he
would do all the killing. "Oh no," Plague answered. "I shall kill only a few
hundred. My friend Fear will kill the rest."

This week's lesson is about how, through divine power, we can have some relief
from fear and anxiety. Trust in God and contentment are key factors in looking
at the future with confidence.
*Study this week's lesson to prepare for Sabbath, January 8.
SUNDAY
January 2

The First Fearful Experience

Read Genesis 3:6-10. It is difficult to relate to Adam and Eve's first
encounter with fear, because none of us can remember the first time we
experienced this emotion. Developmental psychologists have confirmed that
infants from early life face definite fears, mostly of going hungry and of
sharp noises. Growing children and adolescents go through a variety of fears,
as well: fear of animals, of darkness, of being alone; fear of school-related
situations, separation from parents, fear of not growing up, or of being
rejected by peers. Adults also are subject to common apprehensions associated
with their particular life circumstances: fear of not finding a suitable life
partner, of not finding the right job, of terrorist attacks, of contracting a
chronic or fatal disease, of being assaulted, of dying, etc.

Ellen G. White says that after Adam ate the forbidden fruit, "the thought of
his sin filled him with terror" and that the mild temperature of Eden chilled
the guilty couple. They were left with "a sense of sin, a dread of the future,
a nakedness of soul."--Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 57.

Consider the following sample of promises against fear and anxiety. Identify
the distinctive component of each of them.
	o 	Ps. 23:4

	o 	Prov. 1:33
	o 	Hag. 2:5

	o 	1 Pet. 3:14
	o 	1 John 4:18, 19

Fear and anxiety are very common. They also are frequent, destructive, and
painful. Common anxiety symptoms include apprehension, worry, insomnia,
jitters, tension, headaches, fatigue, dizziness, palpitations, breathlessness,
sweating, difficulty in concentrating, and hypervigilance. Anxiety also may
come with panic attacks. God is interested in freeing us from such undesirable
experiences and invites us to trust in Him.
What things make you especially afraid, and why? How rational is your fear?
What practical steps can you take either to remove the thing that makes you
afraid or to alleviate the fear itself? MONDAY
January 3

Do Not Be Afraid

Read Genesis 15:1-3. What was Abram's source of fear? What valid reasons did he
have to fear?
God called Abram and promised to make him into a great nation. Seeing that
years passed by and he had no heir, Abram dwelt on this issue, and it became
his favorite worry. Verses 2 and 3 (NIV) reveal the core of Abram's fear: "
'Who will inherit my estate? . . . A servant in my household will be my heir!'
" The attitude seems a generalized reaction inherent to human nature, which is
to perpetuate something of ourselves, something to carry on our influence even
after we die.

God's response to Abram's concerns was, " 'Do not be afraid. . . . I am your
shield, your very great reward' " (Gen. 15:1, NIV). The future of our lives,
and even our future even after our death, is in the hands of our heavenly
Father. He knows that freedom from anxiety is one of our greatest needs, and He
wants us to be content today and confident about tomorrow.

Look up the following texts. What were the circumstances into which the Lord's
reassuring message " 'Do not be afraid' " (NIV) is introduced? 	o 	Deut. 31:8
	o 	2 Chron. 20:17
	o 	Luke 21:9
	o 	John 14:27

Anxiety is manifested through distress about uncertainties. Such uncertainties
may be near or far in the future, and they may not even happen; for the time
being, they exist only in the mind. Yet, the symptoms of anxiety are quite
real, both emotionally and physically, and can be painful. No wonder the Lord
wishes to free us from them.
How can you best use God's assurance--"Do not fear"--in whatever situation you
are in? How can you remember that no matter what you are facing, God is
stronger and bigger than that challenge and that He loves you with a love
greater than the fears you have? TUESDAY
January 4

Trust Against Anxiety

Reflect on the comforting words of Jesus to His disciples in John 14:1, 2. What
happened immediately before? Where does He direct their thoughts?
These loving words encourage trust. Trust in the Father, trust in Jesus,
because this is a trust that can free the troubled heart from gazing at the
future in distress. Jesus immediately takes the disciples' attention to the
kingdom that He is preparing for them. In other words, no matter what happens
to you here, no matter how bad things are, this is what you have waiting for
you. Thus, trust in Me and My promises. This is what Jesus said to them then
and is saying to us now.

In some counseling sessions clients act out roles relevant to real-life
situations that lead to increased self-confidence and enhanced self-esteem. In
addition, they learn how to manage their thoughts when anxiety is near, so that
the mind may be focused on safe themes. They also are taught relaxation and
breathing techniques to be used in critical situations.

Although those strategies enjoy a relatively high level of success, they focus
on gaining trust in oneself in order to reduce the chances of feeling anxious.
This is acceptable but incomplete, because trust in ourselves is but a small
step. We need, in the end, to learn to trust in God.

How does the psalmist compare trust in God with trust in humanity? Ps. 118:8,
9.
Humans can be fickle and moody, whereas God and His promises never change. The
king of Italy and the king of Bohemia promised reformer Jan Hus safe transport
and safe custody. They broke their promises, and Hus was martyred. In a
separate case, King Charles I sent Thomas Wentworth, an English statesman, a
document saying, "Upon the word of a king you shall not suffer in life, honour,
or fortune." Shortly afterward, however, Wentworth's death warrant was signed
by the same ruler.

What is Jesus saying to us in Matthew 18:3?
The first task of infants is to develop trust in their mother or caregiver.
Once this has been accomplished, little ones will feel content and confident
about the world and the future that awaits them. This is the beginning of
trust. Jesus asked us to relate to Him as a child to his or her mother,
allowing ourselves to be soothed and comforted by His tender care. We, though,
have to make a conscious choice to do just that.
Spend a few moments remembering the times when God has answered your prayers or
provided the best for you. How can previous experiences such as these help you
to enhance your trust in your heavenly Father today for whatever difficult
situation you are facing and for whatever is making you feel anxious and
worried? WEDNESDAY
January 5

Of Birds and Lilies

Aside from Jesus' kind advice to avoid worry, what lessons can we obtain from
this segment of the Sermon on the Mount? Matt. 6:25-33.
Through this powerful text Jesus teaches a number of principles that, if
seriously followed, can protect the believer from much distress.

Keep things in perspective (vs. 25). A hectic schedule may make us lose sight
of the truly important things. Daily routines may distract us from what we
believe to be fundamental. God gave us life. God created our bodies. If He has
the power and the willingness to do that, will He not provide food to maintain
His creation? Will He not arrange for the necessary garments to dress our
bodies?

Become inspired by simple things from nature (vss. 26, 28-30). Sparrows and
lilies are among the most common things in nature. Jesus chose them as a
contrast to the immense complexity of human beings. It is obvious that sparrows
do not worry about tomorrow and that lilies do not toil to obtain the latest
fashion, yet they are well taken care of. " 'Will he not much more clothe you?'
" (vs. 30, NIV).

Worry is useless and pointless (vs. 27). Examining problems in order to find
possible solutions may be productive, but worrying for the sake of worrying not
only does nothing to solve the issue but magnifies the negative side of things.

Straighten out your priorities (vs. 33). Christians sometimes may be caught in
the whirl of materialism or other things that can distract them from what
really matters in life; thus Jesus reminds them: " 'Seek first the kingdom of
God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you' "
(NKJV).

Winston Churchill said: "I remember the story of the old man who said on his
deathbed that he had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never
happened."-[http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/quotes/political/winston_churchill].
Take a look at the things that worry you, and then kneel down and pray, asking
God to take charge of all your worries. What are the concerns that you can have
a part in fixing? What are things that are absolutely beyond your control? Do
what you can to fix what you can, and then ask the Lord to help you learn to
trust in Him for the rest. THURSDAY
January 6

One Day at a Time

Read Matthew 6:34. What is Jesus telling us here? How can we learn to do what
He says? Why is it so important?
Putting into practice the message of Matthew 6:34 would bring so much peace to
people today. Jesus is not asking us to ignore planning or to be careless. He
simply is telling us not to worry about what may happen, not to use the typical
"What if" thoughts: "What if I get sick?" "What if I lose my job?" "What if I
have an accident?" "What if my child dies?" "What if someone attacks me?"

The following list shows the various things that make up an average person's
anxiety. Anxious individuals focus on:
	o 	Fifty percent of events that will never happen
	o 	Twenty-five percent of occurrences of the past that cannot be changed
	o 	Ten percent about unconfirmed criticism by others
	o 	Ten percent about health (much of it apprehensive)
	o 	Five percent about real problems that will be faced

How can you gain inspiration from Paul's experience of contentment? Phil. 4:11,
12.
One of the keys for living one day at a time is contentment, an effective
antidote for worry. Contentment is not an inheritable attitude but an acquired
characteristic. Paul said that "I have learned the secret of being content in
any and every situation" (vs. 12, NIV). In this day and age, in which we face
so many problems, there is a need to develop a sense of contentment for what we
presently have and not to worry about what might come tomorrow.
Jesus said: " 'Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to
you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be
afraid' " (John 14:27, NIV). In practical terms, how do you benefit from Jesus'
assurance of peace of mind? Share your answer in class on Sabbath. What can you
learn from each other? FRIDAY
January 7

Further Study:

"It is not work that kills; it is worry. The only way to avoid worry is to take
every trouble to Christ. Let us not look on the dark side. Let us cultivate
cheerfulness of spirit."--Ellen G. White, Mind, Character, and Personality, p.
466.

"If we educated our souls to have more faith, more love, greater patience, a
more perfect trust in our heavenly Father, we would have more peace and
happiness as we pass through the conflicts of this life. The Lord is not
pleased to have us fret and worry ourselves out of the arms of Jesus. He is the
only source of every grace, the fulfillment of every promise, the realization
of every blessing. . . . Our pilgrimage would indeed be lonely were it not for
Jesus. 'I will not leave you comfortless' (John 14:18), He says to us. Let us
cherish His words, believe His promises, repeat them by day and meditate upon
them in the night season, and be happy."--Ellen G. White, Mind, Character, and
Personality, p. 468.
Discussion Questions:

  As a class, go over your answer to Thursday's final question.
  Some, without any real immediate reason for concern, are afraid to suffer and
die; others actually are experiencing a debilitating or terminal disease that
will likely kill them. Others perhaps truly are facing another life-threatening
situation. How can people in those circumstances be comforted?
  Jacob showed "great fear and distress" (Gen. 32:7, NIV) in preparing to meet
Esau. Joseph's brothers were "terrified" (Gen. 45:3, NIV) when Joseph revealed
his true identity. Discuss acceptable ways to deal with fears that come from
our own wrongdoing. Is there a difference in dealing with fears that we have
brought upon ourselves through our own wrong actions? If so, what is the
difference?
 Job affirmed: "What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to
me" (Job 3:25, NIV). Can our fears become real by the "self-fulfilling
prophecy" effect? In other words, can a constant worry about something
happening actually help bring about the thing feared? Discuss.
 Think about all the things you have worried about that never came to pass.
What lessons can you learn from these experiences that should, ideally, help
you worry less about the future now?

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (Macintosh/20100228)
 * Origin: Fidonet Via Newsreader - http://www.easternstar.info (1:123/789.0)