Skriven 2008-10-28 20:33:00 av JIM WELLER (1:123/140)
Ärende: More salmon 2
=====================
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: About Salmon Cakes With Dill And Garlic
 Categories: Vietnamese, Salmon, Info
      Yield: 1 text file

           Salmon

  There's a lot of seafood in Southeast Asia and cooks have marvelous
  ways of transforming it into delicious foods. One of the common
  approaches is to pound fish, shrimp, or squid into smooth pastes and
  then flavoring the paste with fish sauce, etc. The resulting mixture
  is commonly steamed into patties for longer storage and then deep
  fried.

  Sliced, the cakes have a crisp skin on the outside and chewy-soft
  texture on the inside. With a lager beer on the rocks, the sliced
  seafood cakes make for a fabulous snack.

  At Vietnamese and Chinese markets, there is often white or light
  gray fish paste in the seafood counter. Simon Bao, an avid
  fisherman,  asked me if there I had a master recipe for making fish
  cakes from such a paste. Yes, I do. You may recognize the recipe
  below from the Seafood chapter of my book.

  Based on my mother's recipe, these salmon cakes are one of my
  favorite stealth foods -- something I make and keep frozen for when
  I need a last minute morsel for guests, or something for dinner. The
  dill adds contrasting color and subtle flavor, whereas the garlic
  and onion add punch. Steamed into patties, all you have to do is
  fry, broil, or grill them to eat. Basically, this is convenience
  food that you make at home.

  You don't have to use salmon, though if you do, I suggest wild
  salmon for flavor and sustainability reasons. As the photo here
  shows, the bright orange/pink color makes an impression too.

  Whatever fish you select, AVOID dry-ish, tight fleshed fish like ahi
  tuna, which cooks up very dry unless you add tons of oil. King
  mackerel works well and I love it. Unfortunately, it has high levels
  of mercury so I don't eat it as often as I'd like to. Rich-tasting
  fish, like trout, catfish, and butterfish (sablefish/black cod),
  would work well too.

  Seafood is slippery and difficult to pound in a mortar and pestle. I
  prefer the ease of a food processor.
  From: Andrea Nguyen's Viet World Kitchen

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Salmon Cakes With Dill And Garlic
 Categories: Vietnamese, Salmon
      Yield: 8 servings

      2 lb Skinless salmon fillet
           MARINADE:
  2 1/2 ts Sugar
      1 tb Plus 1 teaspoon baking
           Powder
      2 ts Cornstarch
      3 tb Fish sauce
      2 tb Canola or other neutral oil
      2    Egg whites
    1/2 ts Black pepper
      1 lg Yellow onion, cut into
      1    Inch chunks
      2    Cloves garlic, chopped
           Canola or other neutral oil
    1/4 c  Lightly packed finely
           Chopped fresh dill, feathery
           Tops only

  Makes sixteen 3 1/2-inch cakes.

  1. Cut the salmon into 1-inch chunks, discarding any errant bones
  you discover along the way. (Bevel-tipped tweezers, particularly the
  professional kind used for fish, will speed any bone removal.)

  2. To make the marinade, in a bowl, whisk together the sugar, baking
  powder, cornstarch, fish sauce, oil, egg whites, and pepper until
  blended. Add the salmon and mix well with a rubber spatula to coat
  thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4
  hours or up to overnight.

  3. Grind the salmon in 2 batches (or in 3 or 4 batches if you have
  only a small food processor). In a large-capacity food processor,
  finely chop half of the onion and garlic, stopping the machine as
  needed to scrape down the bowl. Add half of the salmon and process
  until a smooth, stiff, sticky paste forms, again stopping the
  machine as needed to scrape down the bowl. Pass a spatula through
  the paste; it should have a resilient, almost bouncy texture.
  Transfer the paste to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining onion,
  garlic, and salmon. Add the dill to the paste and mix well with the
  spatula.

  4. Fill the steamer pan half full with water and bring it to a
  rolling boil over high heat. While the water heats, cut out sixteen
  4-inch squares of parchment paper and place them on the counter. Set
  a small, shallow bowl filled with water alongside. Using a
  spring-action 3-ounce ice-cream scoop, scoop up a heaping mound of
  paste and release it onto a paper square. (If you don't have an
  ice-cream scoop, use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to scoop and a rubber
  spatula to push the paste onto each paper square.) Dip the heel of
  one hand in the bowl of water and rub the mound of paste in a
  circular motion to flatten the top. Aim for a cake the size of an
  average burger, about 1/2 inch thick and 31/2 inches in diameter.
  Smooth and neaten the sides with wet fingers. The cake doesn't have
  to be perfectly round or flat. Repeat to make more cakes. You may
  steam the cakes in batches as you shape them or wait until you shape
  them all.

  5. When you are ready to steam, pick up the cakes by their paper
  squares and place them in the steamer tray, spacing them 1 inch
  apart. Place the tray in the steamer, cover, and steam each batch
  for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the cakes have puffed up and are
  lighter in color, the signs of doneness. Remove the steamer tray
  from the steamer pan and set aside to cool. (If you have 2 trays,
  have the other one ready for steaming.) Repeat the steaming until
  all the cakes are cooked and then let them cool completely. As the
  cakes cool, they deflate and their color brightens. (At this point,
  the cooled cakes can be doubled wrapped in plastic wrap or placed in
  an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen
  for up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)

  6. Discard the paper squares from the cooled cakes. Now you must
  choose the second cooking method, which will crisp the cakes and
  deliver a golden brown finish. Each method has its advantages and
  all produce delicious cakes. For shear ease, lightly coat the cakes
  with oil and broil in a toaster oven, turning them once, for about
  15 minutes total. For a tasty charred edge, lightly coat the cakes
  with oil and grill over a medium-hot fire on a charcoal grill or
  medium-high heat on a gas grill, turning them once, for 6 to 8
  minutes total. For the most authentic taste and the most evenly
  crisp exterior, blot excess moisture from the cakes with a paper
  towel, heat oil to a depth of 1 inch in a wok, skillet, or Dutch
  oven to 350ºF and deep-fry for 1 to 2 minutes. In each case, let the
  crisp cakes cool for 1 minute, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  and serve.

  Recipe from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen (Ten Speed Press, 2006)
  From: Andrea Nguyen's Viet World Kitchen

MMMMM

Cheers

YK Jim

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20 [NR]
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)