Skriven 2010-09-07 10:38:46 av hap newsom (1:124/311)
     Kommentar till en text av Ruth Haffly
Ärende: RE: Busy Summers                                             [1]
Gidday Ruth!
->
-> ->  hn> different peppers have a different
-> ->  hn> "heat effect" on me as well...I "get
-> ->  hn> used" to one and then when I have a
-> ->  hn> different combination it's like a new
-> ->  hn> heat all over again!
->
-> -> That's the fun of trying new things.  At the farmer's market today, one
-> -> stall had a big box of assorted peppers.  From it, I picked 3 or 4 red
-> -> cayennes, 3 or 4 green ones, a couple of green habbies, and about 3
-> -> yellow banana peppers.  Steve got a pint box of red jalapenos and we
got
-> -> some bells and another (forget what kind).  Some of what I got, as well
-> -> as some jalapenos and serranos (somewhat deseeded) are in the salsa
-> -> cooking on the stove.  The red jalapenos and some serrnos are on the
-> -> smoker, as well as several different types of cheese, including a couple
-> -> of goat's milk ones.  I'll can the salsa when I'm done with Fido.
->
->  hn> Cool! Let me know how they turn out!
->
-> Salsa turned out good; I deseeded most of the peppers so it's on the
-> mild side--with a sneaks up and hits you heat. (G)  I made a half recipe
-> which yielded 7 pints (one not quite full, lacked maybe a couple of
-> tablespoons or so.)  That one went into the fridge, then over to
-> friend's house yesterday.  It's down to about a good heaping tablespoon
-> or so left.  Next week (too much going on this week) I'm going to make a
-> quarter batch.  We want to see how it tastes if I saute the onion &
-> garlic a bit before putting them in.  I may kick the heat level up a bit
-> with the peppers, not sure yet.
->
YUM! You heat process the jars
right? Sauteeing the onion and
garlic might change the flavor
but not much I'd think...unless
you use a lot of oil and that
goes in as well.

->  hn> Are you going to smoke the peppers to
->  hn> a very dry point? and are you going to
->  hn> grind them into a chile powder?
->
-> Have to ask Steve the techincal questions. I know they're quite dry; he
-> mentioned grinding some into chipotle powder.  Might take some of the
-> others plus some whole cumin we have on hand & whatever else fits and
-> make a chili powder.  Right now I'm using some I got at Whole Foods
-> Market in the bulk spice section.  It's in a McCormack chili powder
-> bottle only because I happened to have it handy & I like the shaker top.
-> Any resemblence to McCormack chili powder is purely coincidental. (G)
->
I'm positive your's would be much
better! I do wonder if it would make
a difference if the peppers had the
skins removed before smoking though!

-> -> It's a matter of practice with us since we've tried so many different
-> -> things.  Partly comes from having lived in the southwest, (Steve in)
-> -> Korea, and Hawaii--all with different forms of hot and our trying other
-> -> ethnic foods like Indian, Thai, etc.
->
->  hn> I like the experience of discovery!
->
-> So do we but we don't want to discover we can't eat it. I got some Thai
-> food in the Ala Muana Mall once; the lady serving it assured me it
-> wasn't hot.  It wasn't--to start with but the heat level kept building
-> as I kept eating. IIRC, Steve had the last few bites of it. (G)
->
It's been very seldom that I could not eat
the meal...it might be hotter than I'm used
to, and sometimes hotter than I'm comfortaable
with...but I usually manage to finish the meal!!

-> ->  hn> Anne likes bland...but she calls
-> ->  hn> it "Subtle flavorings"
->
-> -> Must be very subtle, like the residual heat on the hand that wasn't
-> -> protected by a glove when working with the peppers earlier today (only
-> -> had one glove).
->
->  hn> Oh heavens no! That's way too
->  hn> spicy!
->  hn> (grin)
->
-> I've a friend like that.  Bell peppers are as spicy as she goes. (G)
->
that's my Annie! (grin)

-> -> Going to try it again?
->
->  hn> Next trip down there..yep!
->
-> Which will be after baseball season ends and Anne has a school break.
-> How's her back doing now?
->
Not sure when the next trip
south will be...may not be until
next summer..unless Amanda
finishes up her PhD before then!

Anne's back is still a bit problematic
but it's WAY better than it was!
She is claiming she's back to about
80%+ of what she was before she
got hurt...I'm not convinced yet. But
today is the first day of school with
kids, so we'll see how she makes it
through the first week!

-> ->  hn> They'll talk...I'll listen....probably!
->
-> -> Ask questions too. Tell them about last year's experience.
->
->  hn> Oh I've got a whole page of questions
->  hn> and observations I want them to talk about!!
->
-> That's the way to do it. I need to start making up the list of what I
-> need to ask my doctor next week.  Just a routine appointment but need to
-> make sure I remember what meds need renewing etc.
->
I have my appointment today.
I'll be going over the latest
MRI with the surgeon, and hopefully
we can (she) find some reason for
the pain and perhaps even a way
to deal with it and make things better.
->
-> ->  hn> I'm just adjusting my schedule
-> ->  hn> so that I take an extra day off
->
-> -> Smart idea there.
->
->  hn> Yep...but then on my
->  hn> day off this homestand....I took
->  hn> Annie to the ballpark...so my knee
->  hn> is extra sore tonight! But the M's
->
-> Had to walk more than usual to get to your seats?
->
Actually the sitting in the seat with my
knee bent was worse than standing or
walking around! I did have to get up
several times and stretch my knee out
and try to keep it "loose".

->  hn> are on the road again for the week
->  hn> and I get to rest the knee a  bit!
->
-> And they won't be in the play offs this year so the season will end in
-> about a month.  More rest for the knee.
->
Yep!

-> -> Still, sounds like a place I'd like to visit--if I could hike it.
->
->  hn> It was very interesting and I bet you'd
->  hn> enjoy it a lot if you could get around!
->
->
-> I can, to a limited extent.  Had a fair amount of walking in Israel over
-> all kinds of terrain. The foot really let me know each night that I'd
-> used it a lot.  Pills helped, as did the pair of walking shoes I'd
-> thrown in the suitcase at the last minute.  They were the best (most
-> comfortable) ones I had but by the end of the trip, they were well worn
-> out and I had to toss them.
->
The trail at the petrified forest was probably less than
a mile so you might have been able to manage it
with little difficulty and hopefully not too many
repercussions later!

-> -> Figures. It'll sit there for a while, then get moved around here &
-> -> there.  Same as our stuff but ours probably got moved more often with
-> -> our moving the household so often.
->
->  hn> I'll probably put it in my pocket for a while and
->  hn> show it to my co-workers at the ballpark!
->
-> It'll get some traveling there. (G)
->
It will not lead a shell (tered) life!
chat with you soon!
hap
--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5a
 * Origin: FidoTel & QWK on the Web! www.fidotel.com (1:124/311)