Skriven 2010-09-15 19:59:52 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
   Kommentar till text 1591 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
Ärende: Herbs and such                                           [1]
Hi Janis,

 JK> > No, but at least I can still get a copy of the book.  Some are
 JK> harder to > find than others so I can be thankful that it's still
 JK> available.

 JK> That's true.  The cookbooks I lost were also still available, but not
 JK> the same editions - I'm sure I could find the exact one, but again, is
 JK> it worth the time :)  Doubt it :)

I know the feeling.  More time and effort spent searching than what the
book is worth, unless there's something really special about it.

 JK> And now LUCKY if we hit 70F :(  I'm waiting for Indian Summer now :)
 JK> At least it's something to look forward to.

Yes but I don't think the leaves will be as pretty around here this
year.  The area is about 7" below average normal rainfall so a lot of
trees are browning up and dropping their leaves.

 JK> > We had a couple of days in the 80s (nice!) but are back into the
 JK> 90s. > The temps are going to swing back & forth, then settle into the
 JK> 80s and > 70s, hopefully soon.

 JK> 70's are nice if the sun is out.. over here, we seem to have more
 JK> cloudy days than sunny ones.. I think last year I saw a comment from a
 JK> foreign exchange student who was attending SUNY Binghamton.. his
 JK> comment was the area was friendly enough, but it was sickening that
 JK> the area was either cloudy or rainy every day (grin).

It'll all average out.  He'd better watch out--it'll be clear and cold
all winter.

>> after all those days of 90's .. but it's supposed to get into the 80's
>> in a day or so.. bah..NY weather.. I guess I'll believe that forcast
>> when I see it :)

 JK> > That's the way we feel--it's the "if you don't like the weather,
 JK> wait 5 > minutes" time of year. (G)

 JK> haha true... well the 90's came and immediately left.. :(

They came down here!  Want them back?

>> We haven't decided whether to renew or not just yet.. we grabbed a

 JK> > We just renewed the Satellite radio for another year.  We've thought
 JK> > about buying a receiver so we could get it in the house but haven't
 JK> yet. > It would be nice to hear more of some of the discussions

 JK> What we finally did was drop cable tv completely, and went back to the
 JK> satellite since we could get a better deal on Sattelite radio that
 JK> way.  So for now, it's back (g).  And boy it's so surprising how much
 JK> cheaper Satellite TV is that cable.. that's a good thing.

We watch so little tv it's not worth getting cable or satellite.  Don't
even know how much cable is, we just get our internet thru it.

 JK> > We have the broadcast networks only but we're closer to a bigger
 JK> city > than you are.  Cable is only for internet.  But, we don't watch

 JK> Ah.. we use DSL from the phone company for our internet .. we pay
 JK> exhorbitant prices for that connection since this phone company won't
 JK> let you run servers (for my FileGate site, and ron's work) unless you
 JK> pay as a "business" customer.. It's a rip off but has come down in
 JK> price a small bit.. now we only pay $200.00 a month .. argh.. Cable
 JK> won't even let you run servers anymore for any amount of money..  When
 JK> we first moved back to NY there was no DSL in the area.. the cable
 JK> company charged me $500.00 a month for our connection.. that was a
 JK> ridiculous amount of $$ to pay for any type of service.  Then they
 JK> just decided one day they didn't want to run servers anymore.. We were
 JK> disconnected with no
 JK> warning..That worked out ok for us since just at that time DSL was
 JK> made available in Windsor (g).

Small town, you pay more it seems.  Yearsago, the local (for my parents)
cable company hooked them into NY City channels, with one relatively
local.  Now they can get a couple of local but mostly NYC, with options
for HBO, etc, etc.  They took HBO for a while but stopped because they
were recording movies to watch later--and later has just started to
arrive.  I mentioned something about Food Network/Paula Deen to my
parents when they visited us in Savannah; they had no idea who she is.

>> Bummer is my allergies are totally 'en guarde' right now since I've
>> been taking so many things that I'm allergic to. Antibiotics, the

 JK> > No fun.  Steve takes Provigil to help him stay awake during the day.
 JK>  He > also takes Niaspan for cholesterol and found out the other night
 JK> that > you don't take it after eating a lot of salty stuff.  He had
 JK> finished > off a bag of pretzels, eating some of the salt from the
 JK> bottom and had > one of these 'crawling out of my skin" experiences.

 JK> That's a drag but at least now he knows..

Does he ever!

>> you're body just goes nuts. That's what mine did last week. I'm about
>> ready to toss all these pills and have tossed a number of them (g).

 JK> > If you're doing well without them, toss away.  But don't toss until
 JK> you > see how you're doing without them.

 JK> As it turns out, the antibiotics were the big factor in all that.  I
 JK> think the Provigil would have been ok if I hadn't had so many allergic
 JK> reactions to the antibiotics.. Anyway, I'm back on provigil now, and
 JK> so far no problems.

Good!  Keep it that way.

>> I've gotten pretty good at getting them together pretty quickly when
>> they're needed.. throw some slices of home-made bread in the toaster..
>> grind them up.. season while still a little warm.. That cheese grater
>> I showed you when you were here does make great bread crumbs but it's
>> a bit of overkill :)

 JK> > Wouldn't be overkill for me. (G) I save crusts up until I've got
 JK> > probably about 15-20 of them, cube, dry and grind them.  IOW, it
 JK> would > save a bit of time for me. I save the crusts in a zip lock bag
 JK> in the > freezer until it's full.  Then they get dried in the oven and
 JK> run thru a > mini blend jar to grind them up.

 JK> Yes, it would be a good time saver for you, that's for sure.  I do use
 JK> it all it the time for grinding cheese though and occaisionally for
 JK> breadcrumbs.. It's incredible how hard it is for me to do grind cheese
 JK> any other way it seems..

I hand grind mine, using a crank type, a microplane or a flat grater.
You're right; it is getting harder to do by hand but I can't see getting
a grater like yours while still living here.

>> It would be interesting to see the listed ingredients.. perhaps just
>> olive oil and seasoning?

 JK> > It has grapeseed oil, canola oil, dried thyme, dried parsley &
 JK> natural

>> CONTINUED IN NEXT MESSAGE <<

---
Catch you later,
Ruth
rchaffly{at}earthlink{dot}net  FIDO 1:396/45.28

... If your mind goes blank, remember to turn off the sound.

--- PPoint 3.01
 * Origin: Sew! That's My Point (1:396/45.28)