Skriven 2012-05-27 23:13:00 av Dale Shipp (1:261/1466.0)
     Kommentar till en text av Dave Sacerdote
Ärende: Re: Getting goosed
==========================
 -=> On 05-26-12  22:02,  Dave Sacerdote <=-
 -=> spoke to Dave Drum about Getting goosed <=-

 DSac> Geese are a real challenge to hunt. They're wary and intelligent,
 DSac> and have to be low enough to hit. The guideline is not to bother
 DSac> firing at all if you can't distinguish the eye on the white patch
 DSac> of their head.

There are times around here when the flocks of geese gather on
accessible places by the dozens, like near the lakeshore, on lawns, etc.
If you can dodge their droppings, it would seem that you might be able
to walk up and grab one by the neck.  A few quick twists, and you're
ready to start cleaning for dinner.

Mind you, not something I would attempt -- but some might:-}}

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Beef En Daube In A Sauce Of Red Wine And Olives
 Categories: Beef
      Yield: 4 servings

MMMMM------------------RED WINE AND OLIVE SAUCE-----------------------

MMMMM----------------COMBINE IN THE BLENDER AND B---------------------
    1/2 c  Green olives, pitted and
           -coarsely chopped
    1/2 c  Fresh orange juice
     15    Anchovy fillets, coarsely
           -chopped
    1/2 c  Pimentos, coarsely chopped
      2    Cloves garlic, peeled and
           -cut in pieces
      1 tb Shallots (or onions),
           -coarsely chopped
      1 c  Tomato juice
      1 c  Dry red wine

MMMMM----------------------------MEAT---------------------------------
      4 tb Olive oil
      2 lb Lean shoulder of beef (or
  1 1/2 lb Hip beef) cut in 1-inch
           -pieces
      1 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Pepper
    1/2 ts Oregano
           -Chopped parsley

  (from "Splendid Fare: The Albert Stockli Cookbook."   Stockli was
  the original chef at New York's Four Seasons restaurant, then at the
  Stonehenge Inn at Ridgefield, Connecticut.  )

  Serves 4

  "Daube is really a method of slow cooking, which used to be widely
  used in Europe.  In fact, the cooking time was so lengthy that very
  old daubiers had deeply indented covers in which hot coals were
  placed.  A feature of this method was to thoroughly seal the pot
  during the slow cooking.  Here I propose a daube equal in flavor to
  the old romantic method but with the cooking time diminished
  considerably, thanks to our blender.  Beef and red wine have a
  wonderful affinity and, like old violins and some women, improve with
  age.  By this I mean that the daube may be made the day before and
  reheated, or even kept for days.  Be sure to cool the daube before
  you refrigerate; sauces tend to sour with sudden changes of
  temperature from stove to refrigerator.
  The daube may be made on top of the stove or in the oven.  Preheat
  oven to 375 degrees if you prefer this method of cooking.
  Select a large, heavy, heatproof casserole, heat the olive oil until
  it begins to sizzle.  Put the beef in hot oil and saute on all sides
  until lightly brown.  Cover the beef with the wine-olive sauce.  Mix
  in salt, pepper and oregano.
  Cover and put in oven (375 degrees) for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, or over low
  simmering heat on top of the stove for the same period of time.  When
  the meat is tender, skim off the fat from the top of the sauce.  One
  advantage of making this some time in advance is that the fat rises
  to the top and is more easily removed when cold.  Serve it generously
  sprinkled with chopped parsley.
  Presentation:
  Bring it to the table in the casserole over low heat.  Rice or
  potatoes are fine with this daube, but I prefer several freshly
  cooked vegetables of the season and a green salad, leaving the starch
  for dessert.

  Contributor's Notes
  DO NOT be put off by the presence of anchovies (or, for that matter,
  any of the individual ingredients) in the sauce.  I have served this
  dish dozens of times to people who intensely dislike anchovies,
  olives, and/or pimientos; none of these flavors are recognizable as
  such in the final product, and nobody would ever guess their presence
  (the same goes for the orange juice).
  With today's food processors, I've found it completely unnecessary to
  coarsely chop the olives, anchovies, pimientos (which come chopped
  anyway), garlic or shallots.  This speeds up the production quite a
  bit. If you use a food processor to make the wine & olive sauce, you
  probably won't be able to put the tomato juice and dry red wine in
  the work bowl -- that'll be too much liquid, and the result will not
  be as smooth.  Simply pour in the red wine and tomato juice when you
  add the puree to the meat. I frequently double the recipe and freeze
  half of it.  It freezes beautifully.
  The recipe calls for four tablespoons of olive oil.  But anchovies
  frequently come packed in olive oil; I drain the anchovy oil into a
  tablespoon and usually only have to add two tablespoons to the pot.
  There are usually about 15 anchovy fillets per can, so I usually just
  use one can per recipe (two cans if doubling).

  My parents have also made this dish for years; my mother looks for a
  cut of meat called "deckle" that is available at most butcher shops.
  I've found the recipe superb with a wide variety of cuts; the long
  cooking time is enough to tenderize any cut, and the result is always
  melt-in-your-mouth.
  We've found there's a difference in the thickness of the sauce
  depending on whether you bake or simmer the casserole.  Baking will
  produce a thicker sauce; simmering will produce a slightly thinner
  sauce. Don't use "cooking" red wine, use excellent and drinkable red
  wine. Cooking wine makes the dish noticeably more salty.
  Try serving this dish with orzo.  It's an ideal accompaniment.
  Between the beef, olives, anchovies, and oil, this dish is most
  definitely not heart-healthy.  Therefore, do your best to strain the
  fat from the sauce (I put all the sauce, in batches, through a gravy
  separator) or take Stockli's advice and refrigerate it overnight,
  then skim and reheat.
  From: Amanda@gate.Net                 Date: 09-18-00
  Rec.Food.Recipe

MMMMM

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 23:18:18, 27 May 2012
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
 * Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)