Skriven 2012-10-02 17:37:00 av NANCY BACKUS (1:261/1381)
     Kommentar till en text av JANIS KRACHT
Ärende: Re: Another Ithaca Farmer
=================================
-=> Quoting Janis Kracht to Nancy Backus on 09-30-12  01:16 <=-

 >> That's the beauty of using offline message packets, there's no ambiguity
 >> as to where one left off... even if it's days and days... ;)

 JK> And yet.. I've actually heard someone recently essentially say
 JK> that offline readers have gone the way of the dodo bird Lol..
 JK> Those of us who know this is not true could only feel bad that this
 JK> individual hasn't seen a user on his bbs in probably 15-20 years (G).
 JK> So he thinks his "truth" is true for all and it isn't in Zone 1.
 JK> And what does that say? .. to me it's obvious. If you make the
 JK> environment "uncomfortable", people will stay away, and vice versa.

If that's heard as in Seen on Snooze, I've read that thread, too, and
was almost tempted to jump in to counteract, as one of that extinct
species... Here in Zone 1 especially, I'd agree with you as to the
environment issue... there in 2, there obviously were other issues in
their environment many years ago that encouraged more people to go to
points instead of staying as users.  I do remember, around that same
time frame, that there were quite a number of Zone 1 users that either
made, or were being encouraged to make, the same shift.  A very good
friend of mine in the GENEALOGY echo did, and then praised it highly and
encouraged others to do the same...  But for us, the phone lines weren't
so much at a premium, and we could do at least local calls for free,
where over across the seas even local calls apparently were rather
costly.  Offline had made it possible for me to actually function as a
contributor to the GENEALOGY echo, and personally I didn't need to learn
any more new magic spells since what I had worked just fine, thank you.
I suspect that there were more users over here that were into more the
full aspects of a bbs, anyway, than over there..  I know that most of
the users I knew on the bbses back then would do messages local and echo
and also a number of the online games, along with the occasional chat if
both of you were on the bbs at the same time.  Technical and hobby files
were quite popular, too...

 >> program has a good search command as well, and that helps find messages
 >> to and from "me".
 > That's useful.  :)  Another thing I like about using Bluewave, when I'm
 > running short on time, I can read through a packet and mark the ones I
 > want to go back to to reply to as unread (or, for that matter, the other
 > option is to mark them to reply, and then just pull up those later, but
 > I use the other method), whether to me or not.  Then, when I go back to
 > the reader, I can just take care of them.

 JK> hehe.. that IS a nice feature.  I have a friend over in Belgium who
 JK> develops doors for BBBS.. which works out great!  I can mention this to
 JK> him, and if he can implement it in a door, he'll do it. He's already
 JK> working the msg. area world so I don't think it shouldn't be very
 JK> difficult.  He's a great guy (smile).

Dunno how it would work in a door... that's an interesting concept... :)

 JK> I love beta testing his doors, he's quite talented. This week I
 JK> installed two new ones both for when the user logs off (oneliner to the
 JK> next user, and your own bbs stats when you log off).

I doubt I'd be interested in the first, the second could be interesting.

 JK> Anyway, what you're describing sounds a lot nicer than just marking
 JK> the last-read which is what I have to do here now. I could use the
 JK> offline qwk capabilities, but finding a package that's up to date given
 JK> all the changes Linux goes thru could be rough (so many darn packages
 JK> have been abandoned, like MultiMail... argh. It runs but can't tell
 JK> where the heck it is on the planet (g).

If you are using Dosbox for anything else, you could use Bluewave even
in Linux, it's a well-made DOS program... then it wouldn't matter what
changes have been made to Linux, I'd think...

 JK> Yes, and some of the drugs sound insane!!!!
 JK> "Side-effects may include death "...that's about when I stop
 JK> listening!.. or better yet,
 JK> "Certain heart-related side-effects have been reported"  HA.
 JK> Doesn't take a rocket scientist to decipher that one ..

Some of them probably sound more insane than they really are.  I
regularly read the drug insert (the tiny print sheet you have to ask the
pharmacist for most times), and there all sorts of side effects are
listed, from the clinical trials.  Some of them are not much different
from those reported by the placebo takers in the trials... but I bet
they have to be mentioned with the TV ads, just in case...

 JK> Perhaps my favorite though is the ADVAIR add.  They were talking about
 JK> this drug just as my mother-in-law was dying of emphasema.. it killed
 JK> me then that she couldn't get it because it was still in testing then..
 JK> but now you see the side-effects listed..and I think she would have
 JK> died anyway.  A pneumonia could develop with the drug, and that's just
 JK> what got her :(

If I remember right, that's a steroid type drug.  Those are useful at
certain stages of the lung diseases, but they can severely depress the
immune system as well, which puts one at risk for the very diseases one
is trying to prevent by taking the drug... it's a tight-rope at best.

 JK> Ok, I am glad to see drug companies listing all of these possible side
 JK> effects, but it's sad that some of these drugs are so intense and that
 JK> they push them so darn much on TV. In that vein, we've always felt that
 JK> Ron's Dad was more a victim of all the drugs he was on, then even
 JK> old-age :(

Drugs are pushed far too much... and I'm now pretty firmly in the camp
that thinks that drugs of all sorts should NOT be advertised, on TV, on
radio, in magazines, on billboards, etc...  If they weren't advertising,
they'd not have to be listing side effects either...  Drugs are useful
for treating some things, one just has to find the right one for the
right person, and I don't see how the advertising really helps that
process...

 > Too much computer screen will tire the eyes for sure... ;)

 JK> Yup.. that's why I love having a garden in summer.  Get outside and
 JK> play in the dirt with no computers :)  Next year I hope to do that.
 JK> There is a patch in the far back of the yard where the previous owner
 JK> had some Roma's growing..could be very nice for some tomatoes and
 JK> beans, etc. I feel like I missed most of the summer.. well heck, first
 JK> it was packing, then unpacking Lol.

And having a picnic and chasing cats and....  Next year you'll be more
settled, you'll be in the place in the spring, and you'll have time to
do gardening... maybe even some energy for it as well...  (G)

 > A very common fallacy, to take something and extrapolate that it is true
 > for all... a flip side to the docs/insurance that think that one drug
 > fits all... there's far more variation in folks than that.

 JK> Know what you mean there, but I don't think it's the case here.
 JK> In this day and age of Genetically modified grain, I'm not sure
 JK> if I agree with you there.

I hear what you are saying, but I think we are going to just disagree
here... ;)

 JK> "Gluten causes problems for people who lack the genetic ability to
 JK> break it down into smaller amino acids that can be absorbed. Because it
 JK> doesn't get broken down, the immune system recognizes it as a "foreign
 JK> protein", and attacks it. In the process, the intestinal wall is
 JK> damaged. That's why gluten acts as an intestinal abrasive.

 JK> Note that "intestinal wall is damaged". That can cause leaky gut which
 JK> has been associated with MS.. n

But also note that it's in cases where the persons involved lack the
genetic ability to break down the gluten properly...  I certainly don't
argue that this affects SOME people, I know quite a few besides you and
your family that have the same issue.  But I do argue that it isn't
likely ALL people that are affected...  Remember there are things I have
problems with that you don't, for example...

 JK> Here is a great link that explains a lot of the problem with gluten:
 JK> http://tinyurl.com/8k2hf9u
 JK> and this one talks about the gut thing and MS.. and generally people.
 JK> http://tinyurl.com/6e7fznc

I'll try to take a look at those sometime... I don't do a lot of web
reading usually...

 > Just for the "reward", not the music...?   ;)   But I bet you guys were
 > starving after all that marching... :)

 JK> The band was "for music" :)  The drum corps was as well, once I was
 JK> older and established as eh.. "the one" who could improvise, or carry a
 JK> long drum roll (they love those (g). The director liked when I played
 JK> Watermellon Man on a cymbal :)  it was cool.  At the beginning, the
 JK> corps gave me free drumming lessons when I was almost 12 (smile).  I
 JK> wouldn't have known anyone to ask to teach me how to play drums past
 JK> what I was doing on my own before I joined. But yes, after a parade or
 JK> an appearance (we were quite famous in the NY/NJ/PA circuit) we were
 JK> STARVED :)

Ok, just making sure.  :)  One uses a lot a lot of calories marching,
for sure..  ;)

ttyl          neb

... Become a sysop and never see the world!!!

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20
 * Origin: www.holo.homeip.net:   -telnet://holo.homeip.net (1:261/1381)