Skriven 2011-04-03 21:51:06 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
   Kommentar till text 9038 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
Ärende: rosemary 944                                             [1]
Hi Janis,

>> I understand :(   IIRC Theophylline was about it when she was getting

 JK> > That was the basic treatment, with albuterol for whenever there was
 JK> an > attack.

 JK> Sounds right.. at some point, the doc gave her some inhaler which had
 JK> cortisone in it.. that worked well for her.

I had some of those as well.

 JK> > Mine was diagnosed on the tail end of the theophylline and
 JK> > albuterol only era but it was a while before Advair (my miracle
 JK> drug) > came out.

 JK> I remember reading about that one, before it came out.. I noticed it
 JK> because at the time, it would have done wonders for my MIL who was
 JK> living with us at the time.  Back then, they were talking about it
 JK> being available perhaps in two or three years and I knew my MIL needed
 JK> it "now" :(  She didn't die from Asthma, but it would have made her
 JK> life a lot easier with that drug. :(

I got it when we moved to HI in 2001. It was fairly new on the market
then. We'd gone to an asthma education class (first one for Steve,
refresher for me) and the technicial that gave the class talked about
it. He said that the Army was just starting to get it in the pharmacy
formulary listing. We talked with my pulminologist a couple of weeks
later; he felt I'd do well with it so gave me a perscription. It has
really helped keep my asthma under better control.

>> > For the most part I handle the asthma OK
>> > but when the bronchitis kicks in, then the asthma goes somewhat out
>> of > control. It usually settles down in a few weeks tho.

 JK> That's always rough though.. I knew as soon as she'd get any kind of
 JK> cold it would go right to her chest, so I didn't wait to put her on
 JK> the theophyline.  I gave it to her right away as our pediatrician
 JK> suggested.  That seemed to help a lot.

I presume you kept some at home then.

>> Thankfully her asthma went away when she was about 12 or 13.  My mom's
>> also went away for a good many years, only to come back when she was
>> about 65 or 70.. Considering she's over 85 now, I guess that's not so
>> bad :)  But as I understand it, allergies continue to change all
>> throughout one's life so it kind of makes sense.

As far as I know, I was the first one in my family diagnosed with it.
One of my aunts has it now, but it was diagnosed in her 60s or 70s.

 JK> > I suspect I had both all my life but not diagnosed until I was grown

 JK> Could be.. or it could be you didn't develop them until you had
 JK> children.. also a typical time to develop such things..unfortunately..
 JK> :(

No, looking back, I can see indicators of it earlier but it wasn't as
obvious as my brother's hay fever. I don't think the older GP we had was
well educated on asthma and it was never caught.

>> large number of flash flood, and flood warnings from melted snow.. :(

 JK> > No surprise there. At least the reservoirs will be fuller

 JK> Yes, they will... right now when you look at the Susquehanna river on
 JK> the way to Binghamton you can see the water lapping the edges of the
 JK> shores..it is a beautiful picture :)

Sounds nice but still too cool for putting plants out? We put in a
request with one of the vendors at the Farmer's Market yesterday for 6
Roma and 6 Amish Paste tomato plants to be picked up April 23. Next week
is a bit too early (last frost is about April 15) & Steve will be gone
the following Saturday. So, she will have them for him on the 23. We got
a bag of mixed greens and a bag of spinach from her yesterday.

 JK> >and NYC won't
 JK> > be able to complain about no water. My dad gets annoyed when he sees
 JK> on > tv the shots of kids playing in water from an open fire hydrant.
 JK> It's > Catskills water they're wasting.

 JK> I know what he means there.. It has always seemed crummy that NYC gets
 JK> "our water", but I guess their water has to come from someplace..

Yes, they haven't figured out how to use the water closer to them yet.
For years the Hudson was too dirty to drink and they haven't built a
desalinazation plant big enough to handle the needs of the city and
surrounding area yet. (G)

 JK> > Even if I'm in a lot of pain they have to work for it. I've had
 JK> enough > problems over the years that my level of pain tolerance is
 JK> higher than > the average person's.

 JK> Ron has always been that way, his dad even more so.. It used to amaze
 JK> me to see his dad bring his fist down on his right hand to loosen the
 JK> arthritis in that hand.. It worked for him, but it must have hurt
 JK> something wicked :) Me, I'm a pain sissy Lol  I can't even stand
 JK> injections.

That must have hurt; it hurts just to think about it. My left hand/wrist
has been hurting a lot the past few weeks--wet weather and heavy duty
stock the freezer type cooking. Steve won't starve while I'm out helping
Rachel with the new baby.

>> Have you ever tried electric scissors?  I have two pair here, and I've
>> never even tried them.. they came with an older sewing machine I'd
>> bought several years ago... I was just curious if they would be easier
>> for you to use than regular scissors.

 JK> > I've not really given them a try. I had some battery operated ones
 JK> once > but gave them away as the stroke was so short. I'd need a long
 JK> extention > cord for electric scissors to work in the area where my
 JK> cutting table > is. It's near an outlet but the one side of the table
 JK> is aganst that

 JK> I have those two pair here.. not sure how they're powered since I
 JK> haven't looked at them in so long.. I think I'll pull them out to day
 JK> and see how they work.

And you had fun with them?

 JK> > wall with no really good room to pull it out from the wall. I've got
 JK> > some Fiskars spring loaded ergonomic scissors that work well; just
 JK> have > to make sure I don't over do it on the cutting out.

 JK> Yes, same here.. I think they are my favorite pair.

I wore one spring out within 5 years of getting them when I was doing a
lot of costuming for the high school and our church in AZ. That was also
in the time when Rachel got married so cutting out all the dresses with
lining and underlining (for the wedding gown) gave them a lot of use.
Now, with quilting I use a rotary cutter (got a new one recently) and
save the scissors for clothing.

>> And evertime Indy jumps on it, I about scream (g)  He's getting to be
>> a BIG boy Lol

 JK> > You may need to get really firm with him. If he does it when Ron is
 JK> > around, maybe he could help get Indy off of you. Indy's too big to
 JK> be a > lap dog now.

 JK> haha.. I laugh at the thought.. he acts like HowdyDoody some days..
 JK> such a clown.  Thankfully he seems to be more yellow lab than whatever
 JK> else he's mixed with though, so you can actually get through to him -
 JK> somedays :) :)

You don't need a 2x4 to get thru to the brain? (G)

>> That's really nice.  Sometimes if I'm really not up to dealing with
>> the weather outdoors, I start things inside like lettuce and
>> spinach... I make a little greenhouse in the bay window, and they seem
>> to love it (g)

 JK> > I'd love to have a bay window but it would look odd on this house.
 JK> (G)

 JK> Yep, sometimes that just doesn't work in a house.  When I'm not doing
 JK> a lot of indoor starting, I cover the seed pots with one of those 1
 JK> quart plastic containers I get from the chinese restaurant (the ones
 JK> for egg drop soup, etc.).  That works really well, but my favorite
 JK> method is just some saran wrap, because you can remove it a bit
 JK> slower.. (.i.e., you don't have to remove all of it at once).

Steve found a starter thing that looks like an egg carton over at
Lowe's. He started a dozen basil plants in it; they're to the point of
needing to be put outside now.

>> Yes, that's true.  I'm about ready to put a new version of my pages

 JK> And found I'm still working on it Lol.. eventually.. learning more in
 JK> the meantime though, so that's good.

Very good, actually.

 JK> > About the time I start reading for the week end class I have at the
 JK> end > of the month.

 JK> Everytime I start reading these days (not online, I mean regular
 JK> books), it's seems I just relax too much and fall asleep haha

Most of the books we need aren't in electronic version. So, it's buy the
book, read as we can, when we can. I never read at the table until I
married Steve; now I do a lot, especially if I'm eating alone. Cook
books are the biggest read then, I'll go thru marking recipes I want to
try. (G)

 JK> > Very nice; I really appreciate his efforts. But, he says I do a lot
 JK> more

>> CONTINUED IN NEXT MESSAGE <<

---
Catch you later,
Ruth
rchaffly{at}earthlink{dot}net  FIDO 1:396/45.28

... Myth #1: The computer only does what you tell it to do.

--- PPoint 3.01
 * Origin: Sew! That's My Point (1:396/45.28)