Skriven 2011-04-09 17:41:00 av JIM WELLER (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av CAROL SHENKENBERGER
Ärende: ethnic cafe
===================
-=> Quoting Carol Shenkenberger to Nancy Backus <=-

 CS> spawned off to a local 'cafe' yahoo group and in the cafe, we plan
 CS> little weekend 'ethnic shopping' trips.

 CS> passed out recipes as well.

 CS> American Asian Grocery

 CS> hispanic store

 CS> Japanese store
 CS> with the subtle 'western shift'.

That sounds really great. We have cooking classes here (organized by
the city's recreation dept.) but not guided tours of stores.

MMMMM-----Meal-Master - formatted by MMCONV  2.10

     Title: Herb Gnocchi A La Parisienne
Categories: French, Dumplings, pasta, herbs, cheese
  Servings: 8

  1 1/2 c  water
     12    tablespoon) unsalted butter
      1 TB plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
      2 c  all-purpose flour; sifted
      2 TB Dijon mustard
      1 TB chopped chervil
      1 TB chopped chives
      1 TB chopped parsley
      1 TB chopped tarragon
      1 c  loosely packed shredded
           Comte or Emmentaler cheese
      5    to 6 large eggs

Parisienne gnocchi are made from pate choux, a versatile dough made
by cooking flour and water together until the flour cooks, after
which eggs are stirred in. It can then be piped into various shapes
and baked for profiteroles and eclairs for dessert, or savory
preparations such as gougeres, or gently poached in water as
gnocchi. Parisienne gnocchi are tasty, satisfying morsels that, like
Italian gnocchi or any pasta, can be paired with all kinds of
ingredients and transformed into countless dishes. They're excellent
simply sauteed in butter. They can be additionally flavored with
fines herbs, mustard, and cheese. At Bouchon, we don't serve much
pasta or rice, so we use gnocchi as an interesting base for a number
of our vegetarian dishes. They're not a classic bistro food, but the
technique is a French one, dating back to before Escoffier. This
recipe will make about 240 gnocchi, double what you'll need for the
Gnocchi with Mushrooms and Butternut Squash . Once they've been
poached, gnocchi can be frozen for a month to six weeks.

Set up a heavy-duty mixer with the paddle attachment. Have all the
ingredients ready before you begin cooking.

Combine the water, butter, and the 1 teaspoon salt in a medium
saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the
heat to medium, add the flour all at once, and stir rapidly with a
stiff heatproof or wooden spoon until the dough pulls away from the
sides of the pan and the bottom of the pan is clean, with no dough
sticking to it. The dough should be glossy and smooth but still
moist.

Enough moisture must evaporate from the dough to allow it to absorb
more fat when the eggs are added: Continue to stir for about 5
minutes, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent the dough from
coloring. A thin coating will form on the bottom and sides of the
pan. When enough moisture has evaporated, steam will rise from the
dough and the aroma of cooked flour will be noticeable. Immediately
transfer the dough to the mixer bowl. Add the mustard, herbs, and
the 1 tablespoon salt. Mix for a few seconds to incorporate the
ingredients and release some of the heat, then add the cheese. With
the mixer on the lowest speed, add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating
until each egg is completely incorporated before adding the next
one. Increase the speed to medium and add another 2 eggs, one at a
time, mixing well after each one. Turn off the machine. Lift some of
the dough on a rubber spatula, then turn the spatula to let it run
off: It should move down the spatula very slowly; if it doesn't move
at all or is very dry and just falls off in a clump, beat in the
additional egg.

Place the dough in a large pastry bag fitted with a 5/8-inch plain
tip and let it rest for about 30 minutes at room temperature. (If
you have only a small pastry bag, fill it with half the dough two
times.) Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a simmer. Line
a baking sheet with paper towels. Line a second baking sheet with
parchment paper.

Because this recipe makes such a large quantity of gnocchi, your arm
may get tired: An easy way to pipe the gnocchi is to place a large
inverted pot, canister, or other container that is slightly higher
than the pot on the right side of the pot (left side if you are
left-handed) and set the filled pastry bag on it so that the tip
extends over the side and the container serves as a resting place
for the bag. Twist the end of the pastry bag to push the dough into
the tip. (6rom time to time, as the bag empties, you will need to
twist the end again.) As you squeeze the back of the bag with your
right hand, hold a small knife in your left hand and cut off 1-inch
lengths of dough, allowing the gnocchi to drop into the pot. Pipe
about 24 gnocchi per batch. First, the gnocchi will sink in the pot.
Keep the water temperature hot, but do not boil. Once the gnocchi
float to the top, poach them for another 1 to 2 minutes, then remove
them with a slotted spoon or skimmer and drain on the paper
towel6lined baking sheet. Taste one to test the timing; it may still
seem slightly undercooked in the center, but it will be cooked
again. Repeat with the remaining dough.

When all the gnocchi have drained, place them in a single layer on
the parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and
refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to a day. Or, for longer
storage, place the baking sheet in the freezer. Once the gnocchi
have frozen solid, remove them from the baking sheet and place in a
freezer bag in the freezer. Before using frozen gnocchi, spread them
in a single layer on a baking sheet and defrost in the refrigerator
for several hours.

Yield: Makes about 240 gnocchi; 8 servings
Recipe By: Thomas Keller Published in: Bouchon
From: Terrypogue To: Foodwine

Cheers

YK Jim

... Once you've seen one shopping center, you've seen a mall.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20
 * Origin: Since 1991 And Were Still Here! DOCSPLACE.TZO.COM (1:123/140)