Skriven 2014-04-30 05:10:00 av Dave Drum (75933.cooking)
  Kommentar till text 12751 av Dale Shipp (1:261/1466.0)
Ärende: Cast Iron was: different
================================
-=> Dale Shipp wrote to John Guillory <=-

 DS>  ML> surprise given my strengths and weaknesses. To me a
 DS>  ML> surface or an item is clean if it smells of nothing and
 DS>  ML> feels residue-free. A lot of people don't mind if

 Kf> So, am I the only one who will use a wire wheel on a drill to clean
 Kf> the burnt black stuff out of a pot, when the wife forgets that she left
 Kf> something on the stove, while playing with the sewing machine?

 Kf> John Guillory  [KF5QEO]

 DS> I've heard of doing that, but none of our cast iron has ever gotten
 DS> that bad.  There is another trick I've read about but not done.  I
 DS> think it is to put the pot into a plastic back with ammonia and let it
 DS> sit in the sun for a day or two.  That is a desperate measure and
 DS> probably needed only for "rescue" cast iron that you get from a thrift
 DS> store.

I have never used a wire wheel to clean cast iron. I have used (a couple times)
the ammonia trick. Once I had to take the pans out, rinse the brown sludge from
them and put them back into the plastic bag for a few more days. I learned a
few things from doing that ... mostly don't do any of this on a concrete patio
or driveway or walk that you don't want stained. Then you have another mess to
clean up.

I am of the mind that if a cast iron vessel is so heavily scrunged that one
needs a wire wheel in an electric drill motor to remove the mess - you're going
to destroy the seasoning anyway. So, why not a quart of Bo Peep Household
Ammonia and a black or dark green (dark colours work best) Glad or Hefty trash
bag. Let basic kitchen chemistry take things back to virgin metal. Then you can
re-season and get to work on rebuilding that non-stick gloss.   Bv)=

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Seasoning Cast Iron Cookware; w/Cautionary Notes
 Categories: Info
      Yield: 1 Text

           Salt
           Oil

  When I got a new cast iron dutch oven a few years ago I
  didn't know you had to season it. I just washed it, dried
  it and filled it with chilli to take on a camping trip for
  supper the first night. Everyone was waiting with
  anticipation for this big pot of chilli to heat up over the
  fire. Well when I tasted it, it tasted like machine oil
  smells and had to dump the whole mess. Found out later
  that cast iron is coated with a machine type oil for
  shipping. Some kind soul in this echo told me how to fix
  it and I have been happy with my dutch oven ever since.

  CLEANING AND RE-SEASONING CAST-IRON SKILLET
  You're browsing the junk store or rummaging the neighbor's
  garage sale and there it is - a good, old cast-iron
  skillet, black and righteous from decades of use and
  priced to sell. Once you get your treasure home and before
  you crank up the heat, you'll need to clean and re-season
  it.

  Here's how:

  1. Assemble a 1-pound box of salt and a quart of vegetable
  oil.

  2. Wash the cast iron with warm water and mild dish soap
  inside and out. Rinse well, Dry.

  3. Heat skillet over high heat, and when it's smoking hot,
  cover bottom with a thick layer of salt. (This can get
  smelly, so you'll want to turn on the fan.) Using an old
  wooden spoon you don't mind scorching, and protecting both
  hands with hot pads, scrape salt around the bottom and
  sides of the pan. Keep the heat on high and keep scraping
  salt until the salt starts to brown and you notice black
  flecks in it. Scour the skillet for a good five minutes.
  Turn off the heat, and as soon as the salt has cooled down
  enough to dispose of safely, discard it, and, being
  careful not to burn yourself, wipe out the skillet with a
  paper towel.

  4. Repeat salt-cleaning method if skillet still looks
  cruddy.

  Otherwise:

  [SEE SAFETY NOTES BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH STEP 5]

  5. Return skillet to burner and heat it until it's
  red-hot. Turn off heat and fill skillet one-third with
  vegetable oil. either tilt skillet, or use a non-plastic
  brush, to coat sides with oil. Allow oil-filled skillet to
  cool completely - at least an hour.

  6. Heat skillet and oil again, to about frying temperature
  (350-400øF/175-205øC). Turn off heat and again allow to
  cool completely. Overnight is best.

  7. The next morning, discard oil, wipe skillet out with a
  paper towel and you're ready to go.

  8. Some folks swear soap and hot water never touch their
  cast iron. Others find an occasional mild sudsing
  desirable. Everybody agrees, however, that scouring pads
  or powders and dishwashers will ruin the seasoning. Use a
  plastic scrubber, if necessary, to dislodge stuck-on
  stuff.

  9. For new cast iron, start with step 2 and then go to
  step 5. Lots of manufacturers suggest heating the skillet
  and oil in the oven a couple of times to season it.

  From: Sharon Dibble

  SAFETY NOTES by Greg Mayman

  *1* do step 5 out-of-doors - if the pan cracks & breaks,
  you don't want bits of red-hot metal falling about in the
  kitchen.

  *2* Before adding the oil, allow the pan to cool and test
  with a single drop of oil; when the pan is cool enough so
  the drop does not burn or vaporise, add the oil VERY
  SLOWLY to avoid cracking the cast iron.

  FROM: Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Care of Cast Iron Cookware
 Categories: Information
      Yield: 1 Info/text

           Cast iron cookware
           Vegetable oil; pref peanut

  Wash in warm, sudsy water. Scrub with scouring pad.
  Dry thoroughly.

  Coat the entire product with vegetable oil. Place in
  300øF oven for one hour, or heat over medium heat
  until quite hot.

  Remove and wipe off excess oil with paper towel.

  Before each use: Pre-heat for 90 seconds over medium
  heat.

  Cleaning and storing: Rinse in hot water after each
  use. Avoid the dishwasher. Harsh detergents will remove
  the seasoning. Dry thoroughly.

  Store in warm, dry place. Don't stack.

  After repeated use, your cast ironware will turn black;
  providing a durable, non-stick surface. If you have any
  difficulties, re-seasoning is probably required. Simply
  repeat the above steps to re-season your cast iron.

  From: http://www.recipesource.com

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

... Life is an unbroken succession of false situations - Thornton Wilder
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
--- SBBSecho 2.12-Win32
 * Origin: The Holodeck  telnet://holo.homeip.net:2323 (1:261/1381)