 lista första sista föregĺende nästa
Text 4380, 254 rader
Skriven 2013-09-07 07:36:26 av Dave Drum (1:261/38)
   Kommentar till text 4359 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
Ärende: Eat Here - Get Gas
==========================
-=> Ruth Haffly wrote to Dave Drum <=-

 RH> Hope yours goes well. I didn't enjoy lying flat on my back afterward
 RH> but it was neccessary. I'll see the doctor on Tuesday to get the full
 RH> report.

 DD> I shall be especially careful not to be over hydrated. Last time I had
 DD> to lay on my back and not move I had to pee - really, really bad. And
 DD> those urinals they offer are an impossibility from flat on my back. I
 DD> finally convinced the right person that if they didn't install a
 DD> catheter we were going to have a fountain.

 DD> But, it was a close run thing.

 RH> It's a good thing I don't read while drinking anything; my system would
 RH> have been ruined. The mental pictures conjured up.................I
 RH> gave Steve a "head's up" so he wouldn't ruin his system either. (G)

The procedure yesterday went somewhat better. I was allowed to get up and use
the biffy after about an hour. Then they brought me food. I asked if it was
from the St. John's Hospital kitchens (the outpatient Diagnostic Centre is a
part of that hospital) where my chilli buddy George is a mainstay in the
kitchen.

Nope, I was told. They score sandwiches from the deli in County Market which is
pretty much across the street. So, I had a half-sandwich of pretty decent cold
turkey, lettuce, mayo and tomato. A 4 oz cup of fruit that was marked "Product
of Thailand" and a couple glasses of unsweetened iced tea. I was out of there
by noon o'clock. The cardiologist told me that my arteries were all clear, no
problems with the stent that was already in place and that he thought the
problem indicated by the stress test was probably a "false positive". PHEW! I'm
glad that's over with. Now, I'm just waiting out the clock so I can ditch the
dressing over the incision and go take a shower.

The only problem from the whole thing was that about 1800 last evening my feet
and lower legs began to itch like crazy. I'm pretty sure it was caused by the
contrasting dye that went into me with the sleepy-time stuff. Even though I had
followed the directions to drink at least 4 eight-ounce glasses of water or
other liquids (the first two cans of Coke Zero filled that order) I got out the
Furosemide (Lasix) dose I had skipped on orders that morning and washed it down
with a 12 oz club soda. That worked to flush the rest of the dye from my system
I think. In any event the itching subsided after my second trip down the hall.
And was all gone by the time the pee-pill quit its "enhancement" of my kidney
function.

 DD>       Title: New Mexico Garlic Mashed Potatoes
 DD>  Categories: Potatoes, Vegetables, Herbs, Cheese, Chilies
 DD>       Yield: 4 servings

 DD>       6 md Red potatoes; washed, peels
 DD>            - left on, quartered
 DD>       1    Head garlic; peeled
 DD>            Water
 DD>       1 c  Grated, loose pack Cheddar
 DD>            - cheese
 DD>       2 tb Milk
 DD>       3 tb Unsalted butter
 DD>     3/4 ts Fresh rosemary needles;
 DD>            - minced fine
 DD>            Salt & fresh black pepper
 DD>       3 ts Ground NuMex chilies; more
 DD>            - to taste

 RH> Looks good. We don't eat many mashed potatoes but I'd consider doing a
 RH> varient on this. I was going to make a moussaka today but after grocery
 RH> shopping and the heat (upper 80s), decided to go with turkey burgers on
 RH> the George and left over potato salad. A front is supposed to come thru
 RH> tonight, cooling the highs down to the low 80s so moussaka for supper
 RH> tomorrow.

How would you vary the recipe? It looks good to me as-is. But, I'm always
looking for ideas.

I have found that I prefer my moussaka made with potatoes instead of eggplant.
And I much prefer béchamel
sauce to red gravy for the sauce. I don't make it often, living alone as I do.
But, once in a while I make it for others at their house - just to give them a
taste.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Moussaka - Part One
 Categories: Lamb/mutton, Cheese, Potatoes, Casseroles, Sauces
      Yield: 8 Servings

MMMMM-------------------------MEAT SAUCE------------------------------
      2 lb Ground lamb (or beef)
      2 tb Olive oil
      1    Chopped onion
      4 cl Garlic; chopped
      1 ts Allspice
      1 ts Cinnamon
      1 ts Black pepper
      1 tb Dried oregano
      2 tb Tomato paste
    1/2 c  Red wine
           Zest of a lemon
      2 tb (or more) lemon juice
           Salt

MMMMM--------------------------BECHAMEL-------------------------------
    1/4 lb Unsalted butter
    1/2 c  Flour
      1 ts Salt
      4 c  Whole milk
      4 lg Egg yolks
    1/2 ts Ground nutmeg

MMMMM--------------------------MOUSSAKA-------------------------------
      3 lg Globe eggplants
    1/2 c  Salt
      8 c  Water
      3    Yukon gold potatoes
      1 c  Grated mizithra cheese *
           Olive oil

  * A word on the cheese: All sorts of cheese can be used
  here, and to be most authentic, use kefalotyri. We used
  mizithra, which is becoming increasingly available in
  supermarkets. No need to search the globe for these cheeses,
  however, as a pecorino or any hard grating cheese will work
  fine. -- Elise

  Prepare the meat sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large sauté
  pan over medium-high heat and brown the ground meat. By the
  way, the meat will brown best if you don't stir it. Add the
  onions about halfway into the browning process. Sprinkle
  salt over the meat and onions.

  Once the meat is browned and the onions have softened, add
  the garlic, allspice, cinnamon, black pepper, oregano and
  tomato paste. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.

  Add the red wine and mix well. Bring the sauce to a simmer,
  reduce the heat and continue to simmer gently, uncovered for
  20 minutes. Turn off the heat. Taste for salt and add more
  if needed. Add the lemon zest and the lemon juice. Mix well
  and taste. If the sauce needs more acidity, add more lemon
  juice.

  Set the sauce aside.

  Prepare the potatoes and eggplants: Mix the 1/2 cup salt
  with the 8 cups of water in a large pot or container. This
  will be the brine for the eggplants.

  Slice the top and bottom off the eggplants. Cut thick strips
  of the skin off the eggplants to give them a striped
  appearance. A little skin on the eggplant is good for
  texture, but leaving it all on makes the moussaka hard to
  cut later, and can add bitterness, which you donĆt want.
  (Some moussaka recipes leave the skin on and have you slice
  the eggplants lengthwise, which is an option if you prefer.)
  Slice the eggplant into 1/4" thick rounds and drop them into
  the brine.

  From: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moussaka

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Moussaka - Part Two
 Categories: Lamb/mutton, Cheese, Potatoes, Casseroles, Sauces
      Yield: 8 Servings

           Continued from Part One

  Let the eggplants sit in the brine 15-20 minutes, then
  remove them to a series of paper towels to dry. Place a
  paper towel down on the counter, layer some eggplant on it,
  then cover with another sheet of paper towel and repeat.

  As the eggplants are brining, peel and slice the potatoes
  into 1/4 inch rounds. Boil them in salted water for 5-8
  minutes - you want them undercooked, but no longer crunchy.
  Drain and set aside.

  To cook the eggplant, broil or grill the rounds. You could
  also fry the eggplant rounds but they tend to absorb a lot
  of oil that way. To grill the eggplant rounds, get a grill
  very hot and close the lid. Paint one side of the eggplant
  rounds with olive oil and grill 2-3 minutes. When they are
  done on one side, paint the other side with oil and flip.
  When the eggplants are nicely grilled, set aside. To broil,
  line a broiling pan or roasting pan with aluminum foil.
  Paint with olive oil. Place the eggplant rounds on the foil
  and brush with olive oil. Broil for 3-4 minutes until
  lightly browned on one side, then flip them over and broil
  for a few minutes more. Set aside.

  Prepare the béchamel: Heat milk in a pot on medium heat
  until steamy (about 160řF/70řC). Do not let simmer.

  Heat the butter in a small pot over medium heat. When the
  butter has completely melted, slowly whisk in the flour. Let
  this roux simmer over medium-low heat for a few minutes. Do
  not let it get too dark.

  Little by little, pour in the steamy milk, stirring
  constantly. It will set up and thicken dramatically at
  first, but keep adding milk and stirring, the sauce will
  loosen. Return the heat to medium. Add about a teaspoon of
  salt and the nutmeg. Stir well.

  Put the egg yolks in a bowl and whisk to combine. Temper the
  eggs so they donĆt scramble when you put them into the
  sauce. Using two hands, one with a whisk, the other with a
  ladle, slowly pour in a couple ladleĆs worth of the hot
  béchamel into the eggs, whisking all the time. Slowly pour
  the egg mixture back into the béchamel while whisking the
  mixture. Keep the sauce on very low heat, do not let simmer
  or boil.

  Finish the moussaka: Preheat the oven to 350řF/175řC. Layer
  a casserole with the potatoes, overlapping slightly. Top
  the layer of potatoes with a layer of eggplant slices (use
  just half of the slices).

  Cover the eggplant slices with the meat sauce. Then layer
  remaining eggplant slices on top of the meat.

  Sprinkle half the cheese on top. Ladle the béchamel over
  everything in an even layer. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese
  on top.

  Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned.

  Let the moussaka cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

  Serves 8.

  UDD Notes: You can use potatoes only and omit the
  eggplant. Simply increase the amount of potatoes to the
  equivalent of the deleted eggplant. Yukon Gold potatoes
  are nicely colourful but not necessary. Any potato that
  will work in a stew will work well here.

  I hate to open a jug of wine just to make a moussaka. So,
  I substituted a mix of half Welch's grape juice and half
  red wine vinegar.

  From: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moussaka

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

... There is no such thing as TOO MUCH GARLIC!!! -- Dave Drum

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
 * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)