Skriven 2005-09-27 19:35:26 av Carol Shenkenberger (6:757/1)
  Kommentar till text 13130 av Roy Witt (1:1/22)
Ärende: Re: Hand gun sales
==========================
*** Quoting Roy Witt from a message to Carol Shenkenberger ***

 CS> Just curious, having been gone from the USA for quite a bit now, but
 CS> where does one legally buy a hand gun now?  I'm not looking to get
 CS> one, but I am curious.

RW> I think the 1968 gun laws made most of the stores like Sears, Pennys a
RW> Montgomery Wards and others, stop selling handguns. They sometimes sel
RW> rifles and shotguns, but I've not seen any in Pennys for decades. Thos
RW> stores in CA don't even carry them. You can find them at most sporting
RW> goods stores like Big 5, etc, but usually, you won't find the veriety
RW> you'd find in a gun shop.

Ok.  I remember seeing them at some local weapons outlets but it's been a long
time.  I remember there was paperwork to file and you had to wait a few days
to pickup the gun (or rifle as i think it was the same?).

 CS> Don could use hunting (an occasional pastime of his).  At work of

RW> What does he hunt? Rabbits, squirrels? A .22 would be a good choice. H
RW> is making replicas of their 1860s lever action in .22 and .45 long Col

Little stuff or whatever the group, usually 3 or 4 max, is looking for.  It's a
rare but fun pastime he likes as long as they have an experienced hunter in
the group.  He tried for deer once and the fellow who got one shared a bit.  A
small deer type.  I know too little to say more other than he had fun.

 CS> standard but the requirements are 180 out of a possible max of 240.

RW> Don't know the distance? 25 yards is a long ways with even a two hande
RW> hold. Usually a civilian target to qualify for, say a shooting team, i
RW> and 10 yards. I think all you have to do is hit the target inside the
RW> ring. I used to shoot with a team in SD that was led by an older Navy
RW> Chief. He was the best of all those on the team. He was retired and
RW> working towards his 2nd retirement income where I worked in those days

They have us start far out.  I think it might be 25 yards and yes, two handed.
I do well at that far shoot even on the rolling deck of a ship underway.  Then
we move in to marked lines at variations, using one hand by I think 15 yards
and starting 'off hand' at the 10 marker and the 7?  I gather the 'off hand'
at the 15 marker may be my problem spot.  I do not think that was an option?
You only get 6 shots with your 'off hand' if i remember right (been a year)
and the weapons officer noted i hit in the most center section with all of
those (close but not bullseye with all of them on the center dot).  The right
hand is not 'innacurate' but is 'less accurate' if that makes sense.

 CS> 1.5 years) I'm better left handed.  I am told by our weapons officer
 CS> who helped me last time get qualified, that if my right hand were as
 CS> accurate as my left, I'd probably be pretty good with scores closer
 CS> to 220.

RW> You're lucky. A lot of people can't shoot with their off-hand. I've on
RW> known a few ambidextrious people who could.

Yes.  I am lucky.  It's also one of the lesser signs of dyslexia to be at least
partly ambidextrious.  There are odd things that a true 'righty' will do right
handed, that i do left.  As a kid, I remember frustrating a teacher.  See, I'd
write with the pencil with either hand, depending on which direction the point
was set in front of me.  She said if it didnt matter, use the right.

It is *possible* I was actually slightly more apt to be a 'lefty' but the
difference was not a large one.  Having spent 1.5 years in a wrist brace due
to damage 4 years ago, I can tell you there are things that 'should' have been
a problem swapping for most 'righties' that didnt bother me at all.  It's
possible I was slightly 'righty' but the difference was small enough to not
bother me when I had to turn lefty.

I can write left handed.  I cant do 'cursive' left handed and printing I get
some backwards letters, but i can keep up with dictation speeds left handed.
In fact, though the scrawl then isnt neat, it's more legible than right
handed, possibly because I pay more attention then?  Heck, even *I* have
trouble reading my own right handed scrawl now after the wrist damage!

 CS> do the classic method they teach.  Sorry, thats 2 step, not 2 handed.
 CS>  A little slower but just as safe and no risk of dropping bullets
 CS> when I unload 'my way'.

RW> Don't know where the ejector button is on your 9mm, but on the 1911, y
RW> use your thumb to release the magazine. All one handed. Shooting left

I can release the mag ok with either hand.  It's the loaded bullet in the
chamber that I have to take the 2 step method on.  BTW, the 1911 may be what I
used in bootcamp.  Not sure as it's been 22 years.

RW> Of course, you could catch it with your free hand, but instructors fro
RW> on that, saying you're training for combat and that empty magazine isn
RW> going to do any good, unless you intend to throw it at your opponent.

The empty case is dropped on the ground.  What I was talking about is the
loaded round in the chamber.  This has to be unloaded before you can turn the
weapon over, then reloaded by them.

RW> :) That's how Michael York got to be famous. Putting meat on the table
RW> gave him what was needed to make sharpshooter when he joined up.

Yeah, we got some guys really good at rifles due to that.

RW> You know, bowlers have wrist straps that help to steady the bowling ha
RW> I'm surprised that the Navy doesn't have something like that for shoot
RW> But then there has to be a need, how often would a sailor have to use
RW> handgun defensably?

The only thing I had was a steel brace, one piece of steel at the under side
and aother at the top.  Firm thumb guard.  Navy generally only started using
hand-gun or rifles after 9-11 for more than the special security watches. So,
like most navy, I have only bootcamp then an 18 year hiatus.  For that 1.5
years in the brace, I was not allowed to shoot.  They were worried that the
impact would cause worse damage.  As it is now, I grit my teeth and dont tell
them by whole arm hurts.  It's medical record that I have constant low-mid
level pain.  Gotta admit I like the idea of the lefty shoot for most of it
though as that one doesnt hurt at all (grin).
                                       xxcarol

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4
 * Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS, Sasebo Japan 81-6160-527330 (6:757/1)