Skriven 2005-09-28 08:52:29 av Roy Witt (1:1/22)
  Kommentar till text 13417 av Carol Shenkenberger (6:757/1)
Ärende: Cell phone cost
=======================
27 Sep 05 18:56, Carol Shenkenberger wrote to Roy Witt:

 CS> *** Quoting Roy Witt from a message to Carol Shenkenberger ***

 CS>> Yeah, she took it down with little hassle to what the Doc said was
 CS>> ok and left it at that.

 RW>> His problem was Emphysema, so he never did cut down on coffee.
 RW>> Coffee probably the only thing he enjoyed in his last days.

 CS> Sorry about that.  Mom quit smoking when she was about my age.  I'm
 CS> trying too but so far just managed to cut down to 'sensible' (bit
 CS> less than 1/2 pack a day when home, 1/3-1/4 when at sea).

You're so close, you could throw them away and spend a week or two with
the urge to smoke, but just a little bit of willpower would get you
through that. I've done it that way, three times. My problem was that I
enjoyed smoking and so picked them up when tempted by my peers. I quit 15
years ago come the last tuesday in January and won't pick them up again.

My dad wasn't as determined to quit. He claimed to have quit back in the
mid 50s, but smoked on the sly until he was close to 80...when he was
diagnosed with emphysema, he supposedly cut back, but he probably sneaked
a smoke every now and then until he had to go on the oxygen bottle.

 RW>>> That's one way of doing it. Still keeps her on the caffiene though.

 CS>> It was within what the Doc said was ok.  She wasnt told to cut all
 CS>> caffiene, just get it to sensible levels.

 RW>> Sounds like good advice.

 CS> Yeah.  I hate fanatic Doctors who prescribe by rote.  Like you walk
 CS> in, they ask your name, then hand you a diet change without even
 CS> knowing more than your name...(Like why you are there even!).

I had one of those. He told me I had to eat this and cut out that to
lower my cholesterol. I was already there with the diet, but he wasn't
listening.

 CS> Had a lulu in Norfolk. Fellow was a dermatologist.  Told me to cut
 CS> all fats to 10% and no chocolate before he knew why I was there
 CS> (contact dermatitis from a spilled chemical down my boot that wet my
 CS> sock and I couldnt change for 45 mins, made a nasty rash but the
 CS> stuff was not carcenigenic, just caustic).

Ewwww. I know how that feels. I spilled some gasoline on myself and had
to wear my Levi's for another hour before I could get home. Not good on
the genitals...I finally stripped in a public rest room and only wore my
shorts home.

 CS> Shipboard life is exciting but not always so safe...

Like a friend of mine who got caught up in the anchor chain, broke his leg
in umpteen pieces and got a medical discharge. All before he was 20yo...

 RW>>> She's entitled to some of his. Whatever those married years added
 RW>>> up t that'd be the determining factor.

 CS>> She's probably getting that then.

 RW>> Good. She probably deserves it.

 CS> She does.  She's pretty sharp and savvy about money things too.

Unlike mine. Something about how she was taught. She has always said they
taught her to count by 9s, but could never explain it. At 86, she has a
hard time keeping up with what's going on around her, let alone count
money.

 RW>>> He got off cheap.

 CS>> He didnt pay that even.  Took a court order when I was 10 to get the
 CS>> payments started.  Have a classic letter from 'Gov Reagan' that we
 CS>> had to move to California to actually get the money and no
 CS>> backpayments could be expected.  So, 8 years he didnt even pay that.
 CS>> 52,000$ Mom added up in 'arrears' out of that minimal payment before
 CS>> I turned 18.

 RW>> Had she persued it, the state (CA) will enforce those support
 RW>> payments and make him catch up the amount that he was in arrears.
 RW>> They did that

 CS> Ah you didnt note that she had a letter already.  No, she had to move
 CS> all 4 of us to California to get the money and by then, it wasnt that
 CS> much.  This changed *later* but not in the 60's.

Oh yes. In the 60s, under Reagan, they DA had a collection program going
for those who needed help in collecting child support. Those who became
subject to the DA getting involved, paid directly to the DA's office.
They kept books on it. Unless someone who was in arears moved to a
non-extradition compact state, they paid up or went to jail.

 CS>> out and by a proxy that would only tell him we were alive and well.

 RW>> Ewwwww. That must have hurt.

 CS> Yup.  He never blamed us kids for it, but I am sure it was not a good
 CS> thing to experience.

Having had the DA after me for that, it wasn't a pleasent experience.

 CS>> Charlotte.  Mom swears the final moment was when he drop-kicked me
 CS>> out of a high chair across the room.  She left the next day.  I was
 CS>> about 18 months old.

 RW>> First off, C-sections are easier on the body, so you're better off
 RW>> for Had a Psyc teacher in college once who swore by them. She had 3
 RW>> kids t way.

 CS> Hehe she's nuts.  It's much harder on the body to recover from.  MUCH
 CS> harder. It helps though if it isnt the 'ohmyghodgottadoacsectionnow'
 CS> like I had.  10 mins after they looked at me I was being opened up.
 CS> A portion of my belly has no feeling (not a problem portion for sex)
 CS> and I have never since been able to do more than minimums for situps
 CS> due to muscular damage. It didnt even save me from hard labor as they
 CS> waited until after I was in that for 24 freakin' screamin' hours (no
 CS> pain killer, I wasnt dialating right and that would have slowed it).

Having been slashed from back to front, I know how you feel. But,
excercise is what keeps me from getting stiff like that. It's when I sit
around and do nothing that those muscles tighten up. Then I can feel it.

 CS> There are blessings though.  When they lifted Charlotte out the cord
 CS> was wrapped *twice* around her neck.  Only the nerve damage in my
 CS> back which prevented dialation, allowed her to survive.  Her head
 CS> never entered the birth canal when she went into total alarm status
 CS> but they moved fast and she was ok though more than a bit blue.

Damned lucky that they figured out your problem. I had a brother who
didn't make it because of that umbilical cord and a nephew who is so
brain damaged from that cord problem, he's like a vegetable.

 RW>> Take care of your back, it's a miserable life as you age if you
 RW>> don't.

 CS> I've been careful with it always.  Even as a kid I knew something was
 CS> a bit 'off' but until I hurt it when I was 19 (working in a hospital)
 CS> had no xrays to show that I was right to be a careful lifter.  I have
 CS> had only a few times where it's been a problem, but thats i think
 CS> mostly because i am careful.  I can and do lift 50lbs and walk off
 CS> with it long distances, but i do so with proper lifting.

Good.

 RW>>> Hopefully she invested some of it in another house.

 CS>> Yes, which is why I've lived so many places.  Almost like military
 CS>> transfers, every 2-3 years.  Mom timed the sales to hit summer so I
 CS>> rarely had to change schools in the middle of a year.  That money
 CS>> was used to raise us 3 kids.

 RW>> No offense, but it does sound like she might be a 'little
 RW>> touched'..Na

 CS> I think, a mix of the 2 is right.  It's nothing I will ever solve so
 CS> I decided long ago just to love'em both for what they are.  Dad's
 CS> gone these past 3 years and to be honest, his mind left several years
 CS> before that so his passing was more of a blessing when it came.  Mom
 CS> for all her foibles, did a good job of raising 3 kids alone in the
 CS> 60's and 70's.  I'm the least successful of the 3 if you can imagine
 CS> that!

No, I can't imagine that at all. But, how do you measure success? Sounds
like you've got a nice family and you like what you do for a career. As
long as you're happy with all that, then you're a success.

 RW>> 'Please don't sick your mother on me again.'...

 CS> Hehe digression but i got along famously with my MIL.

So did Nancy. In fact her MIL adored her...and secretly, I think the
feelings were mutual, although she won't come right out and say it.

 CS>>> least, I'd like to think so!
 CS>>>                                        xxcarol

 RW>>> I'm sure you are. Narry a nasty word out of you in all the years
 RW>>> I've known you here. Even in the heat of battle.

 CS>> Naw.  You think too highly.  I have been known to make my share of
 CS>> bitchy comments.

 RW>> I know, I've seen um. Still, you're far easier going than anyone
 RW>> here.

 CS> Well yeah, but thats easy stuff!

:o)

 RW>> Well, you havn't convinced me. :o)

 CS> Hehe then be unconvinced Roy. I've even *started* flamers!  Remember
 CS> that long ago RC12?  I called him an asshole in IRC which started it
 CS> all.  He never forgave and never forgot.  He's the one who deleted
 CS> Tim Strike (TG author) just after he sent out the y2K fix.  I mean,
 CS> same week....  Said he was a dead node. I told him that was wrong and
 CS> the node was alive, and he said no, he was dead. So I pointed him to
 CS> the Y2K fix, and he insisted the node was gone, so I called him an
 CS> asshole in the TG IRC chat area.  His reaction to this was so
 CS> pervasive, it caused the R12 nodes to not have a proper
 CS> representation in the Z1 RCC events that lead to the election of
 CS> Janis.  R12 nodes never did catch on (most didnt, a few did).  The
 CS> style of the vote literally changed due to the r12C not replying to
 CS> repeated requests for feedback.
 CS>                                        xxcarol

I remember. LDD kept me informed about, what was his name, Mike
something.. Never heard about your problem with him though. Interesting.

Roy

--- Twit(t) Filter v2.1 (C) 2000
 * Origin: Hacienda de Rio de Guadalupe * South * Texas, USA * (1:1/22)