Skriven 2005-04-15 17:47:40 av Carol Shenkenberger (6:757/1)
   Kommentar till text 9887 av Roy Witt (1:10/22)
Ärende: Re: NIMBY
=================
*** Quoting Roy Witt from a message to Carol Shenkenberger ***

 CS> *sigh* yup.  Enough filtered down that Mom was able to raise 3 kids
 CS> and almost never worked until later when we'd moved on and then, so
 CS> she has social security credits.  Nothing left for us kids though
 CS> except a Mom who was home for us and gave us joy to recall, so I
 CS> call that a good deal.

RW> Well, you did have the best of it, as today's kids don't have either
RW> parent at home very much. I grew up in the same environment you did,
RW> until the baby got old enough that she only needed a sibling's
RW> supervision. My brother got that job. By then, I had a paper route and
RW> was making my own money. We lived on mom's income, while dad put his
RW> into investments. When the two of them retired, he with his investment
RW> paying off and she with a pension from her job, plus both of them
RW> getting SS, they had more than enough money to go around. For the last
RW> 17 years, we each have shared in that as the government's maximum
RW> allowed gift once a year.

Cool!  I've got little in savings but am putting 10,000$ into an account to
'not be touched' next week.  We did a dummy with credit cards and finally paid
it all off.  I'm still a fool, but a wiser one <g>.

 CS> in a rich ethic and all that.  I know what spoon to use when
 CS> presented with 4 at a setting.  Forks are easier as you generally
 CS> use the outer side layer first ;-)

RW> Well, as the oldest, I learned to 'set the table' but it was simply th
RW> knife next to and to the right of the plate and then the fork and spoo
RW> I got to wash my fair share as well.

Most of our eating at home was the same but add the salad fork, even if unused
as that was kinda required.

Today, we have to set the chopsticks out too and 'Ms Manners' doesnt seem to
have rules there so we set them by the knife.

 RW>>> Maybe she was a logger and her job was running on the tree (log)
 RW>>> while it floated in the lake or river. That's what herding trees
 RW>>> down stream is called; Running Trees.

 CS>> Doubt it was her doing that ;-)  Maybe her family did something
 CS>> like that? But I dont know that Indians did much 'logging'
 CS>> per-see.

 RW>> Probably not, but they could have worked for logging companys. She
 RW>> cou have been the daughter of one who did.

Possible.

 CS> Dunno.  Mom was born in 1930.  Her Dad in 1885.

RW> That sounds like Nancy's parents. Her mom was born in 1912, but her da
RW> was born 1895, but they didn't marry until Nancy's dad was 45.

We seem to be late at having kids in my family.  I was 33 when Charlotte was
born.

 CS> Lissa Anne was his grandmother and may have been 1800 though
 CS> probably 1820 or 1830. The letters talking about her are 1845 if I
 CS> remember it right.

RW> I have the account of the Witt immigration from Germany to New Orleans
RW> about that time. The father died on the way, the widow settled in East
RW> St Louis and re-married a few years later. Daniel, my GG-Grandfather w
RW> about 5 or 6yo then. They ended up on a farm near Pittsburg, Illinois.

Not fun at the time for her, but a cool thing to preserve now in a mesage to
others.

RW> Interesting tales of being loaned out to work for local farmers to hel
RW> pay their way as they got older. There was a sister in there too, but
RW> not much is mentioned about her, accept that she too was loaned out to
RW> help pay her way.

Humm.  maybe she wasnt a good worker?

RW> his own and bought his own car. Gramps bought that 41 Chevy a month
RW> before Pearl Harbor and kept it into the early 1950s. Traded it in a 5
RW> Pontiac. The Chevy was a much better car.

Mom bought a car in 1964 or 1965, Dogde Rambler.  She had it still when I left
home in 1983.  Lemon yellow and it made me carsick everytime i got in it.
Major 'new vinal' smell that never went away.

RW> Got any Pape relatives in Texas? I'm in the process of buying a place
RW> there and there's mention of a Pape in the development past of this
RW> area. c1949-50 ... I'm reading some interesting papers. There's a

Not that I know of, but they amaricanized Von Papen to Pape on entry so most of
the 'Pape' folks are not actually related to me.  Pape is kinda like being a
Shiflett in Charlottesville where that is 1/4 or more of the phone book <g>.

RW> My mother tells of taking lard sandwiches to school during the
RW> depression and coming home from school to find the family belongings i
RW> the street. Her father was a railroad conductor, but he gambled away h
RW> pay before he got home. Gramma finally wised up and would meet him at
RW> the pay window on payday.

Ohh!  Well., Mom was still wearing chiffon dresses and all that stuff during
the depression.  Dad made good money too but when she left, it was with his
car and all 3 kids and she arrived in Florida with 50$ to her name and a car.
She was also a secretary and could type faster than anyone else so found a job
first day.  Bought a house 2nd day with 25$ down and her paycheck to back it
up and about 1 year later, made a killing on the stock market and never looked
back.

I have held in my hands a letter from then Govenor Regan of California, that
Mom couldnt get alimony or child support (51$ a month for 3 kids) unless she
moved to California to pursue it.  Cant say too much as I blamed dad as she
did kinda leave without telling him anything and it was 3 years before he
heard we were ok in Florida, no longer NY.  She had reasons though and i dont
blame her either.

 RW>> Where they per chance, ran into the Witts, Rochkas, Winchesters,
 RW>> Scott Dahms, Clarks, etc...

 CS> Possibly!  Actually, there is a reference to a Scott and a
 CS> Winchester, though I'm not the historian my Mom is.

RW> The Scotts were in Wisconsin and Minnesota and the Winchesters lived i
RW> Southern Illinois. The Winchesters did live in the Chicago area for a
RW> short time.

Winchesters.  That might be it.  Right area.

 CS> Look for relations to:  Schyler, Corbet (Corbett), McGuire,
 CS> Phillips. Schyler is phonetically 'Sky Ler' and has alternative
 CS> spellings like Corbet has.  McGuire is also MacGuire (old scotts
 CS> name, MyGyire and MyGwre as well? Border area name along the welsh
 CS> border lands).

RW> That's where the Winchesters came from, I think. I'll have to look tha
RW> up.

Seems to match and cities were not so big then.

 CS> child.  A grand-dam who would kneel in the dirt with a kid and
 CS> explain a blueberry seedling.  I must have been 6 when i met her
 CS> the only time.

RW> Sounds like quaint reminiscing.

It is <g>.

 RW>> Nothing as exciting in my family's past, but Nancy's boasts of a
 RW>> horse thief who shot his wife and her lover in his bed (the horse
 RW>> thief's), before they caught up with him. New Mexico territory
 RW>> turn of the 20th century.

 CS> OHH!! COOL!  We got some darker elves in ours as well.  Told ya
 CS> about the Doc with 2 wives in the same town but there was the
 CS> Schyler fellow, who reputedly came over on a galows ship but talked
 CS> so smooth they let him go on the stateside.  Something about
 CS> 'murder most foule' over a girl?  Or of the girl?

RW> These stories make up for the dullness of reading about Able was beget
RW> by Adam through Eve, etc.. :o)

For sure they do!

 CS>> Yeah doesnt help that they liked the same common names so:
 CS>> Charlotte Elizabeth travels through time to be grandmother and
 CS>> daughter and grand-daughter ;)

 RW>> As do variations of my grandmother's name of Elizabeth, only it
 RW>> became generic when they called my sister by GM Elizabeth's
 RW>> nickname, Becky. I just happen to be from a long line of Roy's,
 RW>> but I was adamant that didn't get passed on to my son. Which
 RW>> started a new string where each kid has the intials of MW ... I
 RW>> used to call them Monkey Wards...

 CS> Heheh I chose to continue the tradition.  It would have been
 CS> Elizabeth if I'd been named Charlotte.  I'd have been harder put
 CS> for a boy name, except Don and I both agreed having a kid with the
 CS> same name as the parent, is not 'good' nor is it 'good' to have the
 CS> same name as 1/2 your classmates.  We were looking aw Jerimiah when
 CS> Charlotte popped out.

RW> If my mother would have had it her way, my name would have been Archy.
RW> Archibold Witt...what a moniker.

OHH bad!  Jerimiah was just an idea, Jerry for normal use.  We also looked at
several other names but after so many years, Jacob is the only other one I
recall we discussed much.  Ohh. Matthew.

RW> Their daughter (blonde and blue eyed) was the prettiest thing by far.
RW> Her problem was that she drank too much Coca Cola and ate raw onions.
RW> Her teeth rotted out by the time she was 18.  Next best was my father'
RW> oldest sister's daughter, Mary Ann. (also blonde and blue eyed) She wo
RW> a beauty contest, but never got past the county fair thing to become M
RW> Illinois.

Humm, too bad on the teeth there.  Thats one thing you get a bit used to seeing
in Asia.  The Japanese dont seem to use a dentist until a tooth hurts and then
it's a bit late in the game to save it many times.

 CS> Big bones?  Sis got those from Dad.  I got the scaled down version
 CS> but i happen to like having square shoulders.  Thick (over thick)
 CS> hair still at age 45 and my brother is the same.

RW> We all had that too, but my brother has a small full moon on his head
RW> now and my sister's is thinning. Mine is thinning too, although my hai
RW> was thick like yours and it's harder to tell than my sister.

Mine's still so thick when I go to get it cut, they bring out the thinning
tools first to take it 'down a notch'.

 CS> Funny how that hit around age 25-30 and got darker.... I actually
 CS> look more 'natural' when I color it back to what I had as a kid.

RW> Mine got dark early on too, then it stayed that way until I reached my
RW> 50s. Then the grey started to come in. I hated that.

Grey came to me early.  By age 30, I had strands of it.  It's slow changing
though so i'm no longer so out of synch with my fellows of the same age at 45
next month.

It's just too much trouble to color it at work, so I'm watching it develop
naturally and it has it's own charm in how it's doing that.  At least, I think
so and thats all that counts really <g>.

RW> What turns me off is all of these women running around with blue hair.
RW> Silliest thing I ever saw.

Yup.  It's supposed to turn the grey to white i think?  It doesnt work.
                                       xxcarol

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4
 * Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS, Sasebo Japan 81-6160-527330 (6:757/1)