Skriven 2012-02-28 10:51:38 av Roy Witt (1:387/22)
  Kommentar till text 26032 av Richard Webb (1:116/901.0)
Ärende: Solstice ceremonies
===========================
28 Feb 12 00:44, Richard Webb wrote to Roy Witt:

 RW>> the lawyer do his/her gig, and stfu.  The only thing you say to the
 RW>> gendarme is "I want my lawyer."

 Roy>> Not quite how you should address a LEO. "I'm sorry officer, but
 Roy>> upon advice from my lawyer, I wish to remain silent until he
 Roy>> arrives and he and I have a private discussion of events."

 RW> And that's exactly how i phrased it one time iirc.  Wasn't
 RW> re a firearms related incident, but a business partner I got involved
 RW> with for awhile who was less than ethical and honorable shall we say.

I think I've been there myself. A friend and I were driving in an
industrial area of San Jose' at night and got pulled over. You know the
drill; he was leaning on his hands over the hood, I was doing the same
over the trunk. The officer who was at my end of the car asked me why I
was hanging out with a known criminal with an arrest record longer than
his arm and I had no such history.

I couldn't answer that one...as I didn't know anything about his record
before that cop told me about it.

 RW>> <been there done that.  NO don't ask <g>.

 Roy>> I'm a paying member of a 'firearm owners' legal group that gets
 Roy>> it's advice from a law firm, located in Houston. They also are the
 Roy>> local rep council who calls the lawyer on duty for such and such an
 Roy>> event in this area.

 RW> Yep, at the time of the little thing i mentioned above
 RW> lawyer was a client of mine for audio services.

So you got a discount.

 PQ>>> Oh, and BTW, check with the local gendarmes about that pepper
 PQ>>> spray. It may not be 'legal'.  Over here I think it's a "restricted
 PQ>>> item", and requires licensing.

 Roy>>> Really! How sad. As for 'strategically' placed items that can be
 Roy>>> used to thwart a home invasion or used in self defense, their use
 Roy>>> may be used against you in a court of law as a pre-meditated
 Roy>>> charge of battery all the way to murder 1.

 RW>> Indeed they can, especially if a trap,

 Roy>> Early on I learned the 'trap' laws in California. i.e. I had a
 Roy>> model-T Ford coil attached to the body of a car that had previously
 Roy>> had 8-track (remember those?) tapes stolen from it. I removed the
 Roy>> device upon advice from the investigative LEO who told me that in
 Roy>> doing so, I had set myself up for manslaughter charges if the thief
 Roy>> had died from the shock.

 RW> Which could happen easily enough <g>.  Remember the guy in
 RW> MIami who got tired of the miscreants breaking into his
 RW> store through the skylight and set up something similar and
 RW> ended up frying a perp?

Yeup. Remember the guy in NO who laid in waiting for the person who was
bagging dog shit and throwing it on his porch after lighting the bag?

I wonder if he's out of prison yet.

 RW>>  but thorny bushes near windows and the like can be a deterrent, and
 RW>> aren't against the law.

 Roy>> That's correct. They do in affect, lead anyone who intends to enter
 Roy>> your house to a place where you can expect them to be when the
 Roy>> alarm sounds.

 RW>> oh, and as for peper spray, mace and the like, not hardly.

 Roy>> That is affective, if done properly.

 RW> That's the operative word here, if done properly.  Not
 RW> something the untrained is gonna do in a panic situation.

That is something they teach at local shooting ranges here. You can take
it with your CHL class if you have an inclination to use pepper spray.

 RW>> YOu might only piss your assailant off. I like real stopping power
 RW>> myself. IF that means lethal force, I'll take the consequences.  IF
 RW>> some nogoodnik decides to enter my home through a window at 4:00
 RW>> A.M. if the rottweiler don't get there first my short barreled
 RW>> twelve gauge will take care of the problem.  MIght also do some bad
 RW>> things to some plaster, but that's replaceable. tHis blind man likes
 RW>> his scattergun.  I believe in gun control, which is hitting the
 RW>> target. NOw that's real gun control!

 Roy>> I also like that kind of gun control, which is why my newest Kimber
 Roy>> .45 is equipped with a laser site...damn thing could almost be used
 Roy>> for a flashlight at night.

 RW> YEp, I was reading though where they tell folks even if your piece
 RW> has such a thing, have a separate flashlight.

The Kimber has a Crimson Trace laser built into the grip on the trigger
side (right handed, right side, left handed vice versa). The instructions
are to place your trigger finger so that it blocks the laser when you're
seeking a purp's location; with a flashlight in your other hand. At night
that laser is so bright, it would give you away to a person hiding around
a corner, long before you got there.

 RW>> However, in most places you'd better make sure you were
 RW>> being threatened before you use said lethal force,

 Roy>> As long as they fall -in- the house and not on the porch...they're
 Roy>> legal game. If they fall on the porch, drag them in...

 RW> YEp, that way in this state too iirc.  MOst states are that
 RW> way.

Sometimes I get the impression from the LEOs that they'd rather see a dead
purp than have to deal with taking them to jail and have a judge release
them the next day.

 RW>> but believe me, I've got a lady that isn't exactly ambulatory
 RW>> and I'm a short blind dude, if you break into my home i
 RW>> perceive you as a threat.  Even if I might not be able to
 RW>> prove it, as long as nobody calls the man whatever's left
 RW>> goes in the freezer, and the rottie can enjoy it later,
 RW>> including the bones after she's removed teh meat.  Evidence, what
 RW>> evidence? I've got a big enough freezer, tain't no problem <g>.

 Roy>> Lol!

 RW> Figured you'd like that.

It reminded me of a guy in San Diego who had a 'herd' of Rotties guarding
his show truck in a high crime area of town. If you were black or an
infrequent visiter, such as I was, he had to come to the gate and escort
you through the yard. There was one particular Rottie that never let me
pet him. A raised or reaching hand would come back as a bloody stump.

 RW>> ... Ted KEnnedy has killed more people with his car than I have with
 RW>> my guns.

 RW>> 8^)

 RW> THought you'd like that one too.  Guy used to use that in
 RW> one of the ham newsgroups on USenet years ago, that's where
 RW> i stole it <g>.

I've seen it here in Fidonet before. Haven't seen it in a long while.

                R\%/itt

  ... Only those who will risk going too far can possibly
  ... find out how far one can go ~ TS Eliot

--- Twit(t) Filter v2.1 (C) 2000-10
 * Origin: SATX Alamo Area Net * South * Texas, USA * (1:387/22)