Möte LINUX, 22013 texter
Skriven 2006-10-30 18:01:00 av James Bradley (1:134/77.0)
   Kommentar till text 7713 av Maurice Kinal (1:140/13.1)
Ärende: ttylinux
================
On or about: 10-27-06  20:00, Maurice Kinal did engage James Bradley regarding,
but not limited to: ttylinux

 MK> Understood.  My approach to that was, and still is now that
 MK> I think about it, to work towards getting rid of things
 MK> that get in the way (eg CD's and floppies before that), and
 MK> avoid getting new things that cannot prove themselves
 MK> worthy of pusuing any further (eg DVD's).  So far that
 MK> methodology has proved itself over and over and ...

One still has to work within the confines of the technology available. When
there was no optical medium to speak of, streaming tape was prevalent. Because
they are not perfect, doesn't make me want to toss the baby out in the
bathwater.

I ask, when you indoctrinate a new subject, with only a low level format on the
HD, how do you get the OS into them? A) You don't own a bootable CDROM, or the
drive they go into, B) There are "tamper-proof" screws on the case, and you
don't have a device that can circumvent them at hand, C) Floppies are out of
the question, and D) The USB port is not bootable. You're buggered by your
principles! Unless osmosis works, you have no way to get your OS into it. Now,
we both know you only have to get a drill on the job, and you can pop the
screws off in no time, but if someone wanted me to look at their
HP/Compaq/Dell/ad nauseam in a timely fashoin, I couldn't be bothered to slave
a second drive into the thing, and leave that fancy engineering, in the form of
convoluted catches, sliders, and clips. Pop a CD in the mouth, and be done by
noon. If you find that *not* to be frugal with your time, then I guess we can't
understand one another. <scratching head...> Am I missing something
fundamental?

I guess I work another way, that if it is more trouble than it's worth, then it
contributes to the heap. As most pieces cost me $5-$10 out of pocket, I usually
get great satisfaction, and stress relief from the old "heave_ho" function.
(Yes, I read here, even if I don't know what in the hills is being talked
about.)

 MK> I used to and will probably start doing that again soon.
 MK> These days HD installs/upgrades/etc has been the most
 MK> pratical and best all things considered.  However usb is
 MK> looking good, especially bootable flash disks, but I
 MK> honestly wouldn't rely as it being the only way but instead
 MK> as a back door to replace CD/DVD and simular strategies.
 MK> Works great so far even if it isn't bootable.

Ignoring the USB bootable option, It involves a screwdriver to mount a HD in a
case. As my shop is constantly moving locations, the appropriate screwdriver,
or the reverse engineering to get in a case is not always readily at hand. As I
usually need to cart the carcass (My own.) off to an internet connection for a
PDF to figure out how to touch the drive bay...

 JB> is.) That'd be alright, but for the times I have a non-bootable stick
 JB> in it.

 MK> That works too.

...Which prevents it from booting, until the stick is removed.

 JB> Thinking out loud: I could likely use the rack-mount Dell hot-swap
 JB> SCSI to accept an image, but when all is said and done, I think that
 JB> would best be left to the "More said than done, the better."

 MK> Heh, heh.  That should work.

Thinking out loud again, I would have to make the drive with the image
bootable, and as it would likely go to another SCSI device number than "0", I'd
have to mess with the controller BIOS in order to boot from that number, do my
business, go back to the BIOS to change back to drive "0"... I *must* be
missing something. <?> Even IDE doesn't streamline that much.

 MK> Speed mostly as well as not having to concern oneself with
 MK> getting ROMs to work with the scheme.  Saves money as well
 MK> which is nice.

For less than fifty cents a piece, even WITH two failed attempts at burning a
workable CD, it's worth a buck fifty to *have* the "inconvenience" as it is
usable now across platforms, locations, and drive types.

 JB> As it worked out, I just threw Ubuntu at it directly, and it all

 MK> I've never looked at it but it is my understanding it is another
 MK> typical  distribution, not that I am against that but far too often
 MK> distributions are giving too much of what I never wanted
 MK> and not enough of what I do want.  After trimming down I
 MK> end up with something that looks very much like a heavily
 MK> minimalized Slackware so it seems to me that I may as well
 MK> stick to the course I chose to follow approx. a decade ago.

At the Google search page, I read some of the three-line snippets that reviewed
Slack-11, and was amused that their criticisms, were exactly what was
attracting me to it to begin with. Things like "Nothing fancy" and "Almost
bland, considering some of the glossier distributions out now..." was fitting
into my vision nicely. <L>

 JB> What I did discover, is the "aic7xxx=no_probe" did do wonders for

 MK> I am not sure.  The last one I did I built into the kernel
 MK> and it worked fantastically without any extras.  I didn't
 MK> try a scsi cd-rom though as that just complicates things
 MK> too much and I don't use cd's anymore so even if it works
 MK> it really doesn't.  :-)

You need to stop using them as coasters, me thinks. <ROTF>

 JB> starting point. They sure taught Alta Vista a thing or two!

 MK> I suppose.  Made more money that is for sure.

Good on 'em! Money aint everything, but why not, NOT let it run our lives?

 JB> See, I could offer my assistance to sweep the floor, and take out the
 JB> trash.

 MK> Not after I finished with you.  :-)

Ya, I'd be making frisbees out of CDROMs. O-8*

 JB> now *he* is getting his POS application back on the company machine.

 MK> Yeah I've seen some goofy ideas around here simular to
 MK> that.  I just shake my head and walk away.  I imagine it'll
 MK> get worse next year.  Care to bet on it?

Well, I'll bet that no matter how good your advice to someone, they will
continue to ignore it, until it's about to cost them money. When push comes to
shove, they will still take credit for your ignored idea. Is that part of the
wager? <G>

 MK> they got in the way of progress.  Since then things have
 MK> been falling into place nicely ... with tweaking of course
 MK> but that should go without saying.

Try two Adaptecs in the same machine, and call me in the morning.

 JB> expansion card, vertically, so it must be about 4-tall.
 MK> Right.  Sounds 4U-ish to me.  Those are my favourites.

I saw a beige one at a discount store, tagged at $99. I bought my two for ten,
IIRR. ATX PS, fans (3), mounting brackets, handles, AND one floppy and CDROM
drive to round out the package. <G+D>

 MK>> Not sure about circles but he was definetly still spinning
 MK>> his wheels last time I checked.  ;-)
 JB> Who cares if he's lost, at least he's making good time. <L>
 MK> Hurry up and wait?  ;-)

If it turns his fancy, who are we to judge? [-|

 MK> Yep.  So far so good but there have been more 'moments'
 MK> then there used to be that is for sure.

I just had a "moment" that had nothing to do with the mind, but it sure took a
strip off it, none the less. That one was a solid seven. I'm not so sure that
it's "Better to fail from the bottom up." as Churchill liked to say.

... James

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

--- Maximus 3.01
 * Origin: -=-= Calgary Organization CDN (403) 242-3221 (1:134/77)