Möte SURVIVOR, 495 texter
Skriven 2006-05-07 01:26:00 av James Bradley (1:134/77.0)
     Kommentar till en text av Ardith Hinton
Ärende: What's in...  4.
========================
Ardith Hinton wrote James Bradley on 05-03-06 10:00

 AH>           No apology necessary, but thanks for
 AH> the heads up....  :-)

I was a little flabbergasted, when I found a *second* message in an
inappropriate message base, so I took a keener approach. Sure enough, if I
"browse" the message base with a QWK packet, and form a reply, then download a
regular QWK packet and reply to a message, the "browse" message moves one
message base down in my echo list.

If I was using the feather sensitive keyboard, I would have blamed a fruit fly
for leaning on the down arrow at the least opportune time, but both of the
board are the must-impress-or-they-don't-connect variant. (I know, a shoddy
carpenter blames his tools. B-) "In summation your Honor..." I was apologizing
in case the message went to an errant message base, and to the moderator that
would scratch his or her head with what in the hills I was going on about.

 AH>           I still have difficulty with the
 AH> notion that a "good" baby is one who sleeps a
 AH> lot & never cries, and that xxx "should" be done
 AH> a certain way because that's what Grandpa liked
 AH> (although he died in 1932) or because that's
 AH> what the fashionable people claim they're doing.

Following the logic, a comatose baby, is a content baby. O-8* Maybe content,
but totally unable to feed.

I saw a spot on TV, where a pediatrician (That's the baby doctor, right?) had a
handful of techniques, that would quiet any baby that didn't have a health
issue. Swaddling was big, and he demonstrated the others, until, his last was
to "Shhh" in their ear a little loudly, until the baby thought they were back
in the womb. The emphasis, and in light of your issue as an infant, he did
emphasize a parent should seek medical help if the techniques didn't work, but
it was quite predictable, in which kid reacted to which technique. The last was
a tough customer, and the doc knew only the "Shhh" in the ear was the only
thing that would calm him. He gave it a quiet go, a short go, and then he put
some db's behind it, and sure enough, as if the kid was on cue...

 AH>  I started off on the wrong foot when I was
 AH> three weeks old.  My mother & I moved to
 AH> Vancouver from the prairies, where the milk is
 AH> richer than it is here.  In those days baby
 AH> appealed for help the only way I could.  I also
 AH> survived to tell the tale... [wry grin].

That's the preferred outcome! <VVBWG>

 AH>           Some "J" people might try the patience
 AH> of a saint... even Jesus found it difficult to
 AH> be patient with them when they adhered rigidly
 AH> to the letter of the law but failed to
 AH> understand the spirit.  And some of them
 AH> apparently can't resist classifying things as
 AH> "good" or "bad" without regard for the
 AH> surrounding circumstances.  They'll say person
 AH> xxx (who has a debilitating disease) is lazy
 AH> because she doesn't do housework, and they'll
 AH> say they hear nothing negative in the word...
 AH> yet when they don't do housework it's because
 AH> they're sick or their back hurts & they're quite
 AH> indignant if others say they're lazy!  Not all
 AH> "J's" are like that.  Most are probably more
 AH> intuitive and/or closer to the middle of the
 AH> continuum.  But those who aren't take up a lot
 AH> of bandwidth sometimes.  :-)

This is starting to explain some behaviors that have bothered me for a long
time. (That's your cue for a "Uh-ha." or a "Told ya so." |-) I think the other
extreme (Perceptive?) could be equally frustrating. If someone wants to delay
decisions indefinitely, reserving "judgment" and perpetually on a fact finding
mission. <?> On a job, like an archaeologist, I'm sure that would be a handy
trait to posses, but when digging up a dinosaur for instance, there comes a
time to leave the field, and bring the specimen in. That's the time, where a
"judgment" has to be made, and that's the way the way is. I'm sure their work
has to walk a delicate line.

 AH>           Sounds to me like a well-balanced
 AH> approach.  You respect tradition in a context
 AH> where it makes sense to draw upon the wisdom of
 AH> the past, because the old technology still works
 AH> & it allows you to custom-make whatever you want
 AH> to. Such activities are also a process of
 AH> discovery, and a creative process because you
 AH> know you'll be called upon to add some personal
 AH> touches eventually....  :-)

Wish I was so perfect. <L> I'd think - well, I would *like* to think - the
majority of us humans find a comfortable niche to hang our hat on, but knowing
what we are, and being able to step out of that comfort zone would be a trick.
Like you mentioned the sensation of buckling into a kayak was out of your
comfort zone, yet in it you went. Yes, you had enough of a support system in
place, but you had the ability to say no. You also knew how much Nora got a
kick out of it, and she wasn't about to give you fibs about her new-found
excitement.

 AH>           Yes... and I imagined at first that
 AH> you might want to use it for some of your
 AH> construction projects.  Now I understand that
 AH> learning & doing may be a higher priority, for
 AH> you, than whether or not you actually get the
 AH> equipment to function. My guess wasn't quite
 AH> right... but I enjoy speculation, where a less
 AH> intuitive person might have difficulty imagining
 AH> what they'd never experienced.

The skinny is, a whole tub of tools went for one price, and that one tool was
just a part of the poundage. Maybe I get a kick out of being more than
ordinary, but the fact is, I have two of these tubs worth of tools to either
salvage for my own use, or ready for sale to a pawn brokerage. Yes, there are
benefits to me, in the tools that I now don't have to shop for, the
renumeration when I sell some, but the problem solving is as large a gain as
anything. I didn't go out that day to buy a jack-hammer, but flexability is
part of the fun in good auctioning.

Because you are able to comprehend a "perceptive" aspect, and not snap to a
"normal" "judgment", I can brag about the insanity. <G> Now, I do have a
hording issue, so I have to make sure most of this stuff goes out as fast as it
comes in, displaces an old piece, or is truly going to enrich my life. Now, I
don't know how a hospital spec. TV distribution system will enrich my life at
present, but I might implement it yet. My thrust at the time was to utilize it,
but the health got in the way. Now, comes the cost::benifit ratio. Wish I had a
good functioning crystal ball in that pile of tools. Now, THAT's something I
would try to hang onto. (-;

A current bid, (I think I've mentioned?) scored all sorts of furniture. I hope
by fall, to have most of that back at the same auction house it came from with
the additions of a handful of hardware that made it an incomplete lot, or legs
on the table that was missing. (I won't bring up the three-legged chair. B-) If
I play it smart, I shouldn't have to put too much money into this, and if I can
recoup at least a little of my cost, I walk away with a solid mahogany
headboard, sofa table, two thick-veneer tables on solid mahogany carcases,
etcetera. Again, another totally opposite quirk of the auctions, is
understanding them from a sellers, or vendors perspective.

I watched a flawless estate collection of $10,000 worth of dinning room
furniture go for $700. Other items will fetch retail prices, for crap equipment
that barely worked when it was new. Sometimes there's simply no accounting for
peoples lust for some of this stuff, but given enough time, and a sales flier,
they aught to realize their stupidity. I know I've kicked myself for some
errors, and I still have to pay the piper - sort of speaking - with some bad
decisions. I guess I could bury my head in the sand, but I have to atone for my
decisions, good or bad as they may be.

 JB>  Your "perception" is to reserve judgment until
 JB>  you have the facts.

 AH>           Uh-huh.  And if there's no need for me
 AH> to make a judgement call as to whether you
 AH> "should" or "shouldn't" have bought such
 AH> equipment, I won't bother. Since it's not my
 AH> preferred mode of operation, it's too much like
 AH> work....  ;-)

"My name is James, and I have an auction habit." <G>

 JB>  Not only do I like to get into it physically, I also
 JB>  enjoy the mental challenges.  It's the discovery that
 JB>  is the destination, not knowing everything in order to
 JB>  build my own from raw elements.

 AH>           While you enjoy the "sensation"
 AH> aspect, you're using your "intuitive" skills to
 AH> figure out how the thing is put together & how
 AH> you might fix it.  The process is also more
 AH> important than the product.  That's
 AH> "perception"....  :-))

There has to be some reverse engineering into any fix. That often involves
discovery, and adopting another's mindset in order to understand the mindset
that was used to build a piece. If you don't, you need a pretty big hammer to
get into some of them boxes. <EG> "Jack!!! Bring your hammer."

___ MultiMail/Linux v0.47

--- Maximus 3.01
 * Origin: -=-= Calgary Organization CDN (403) 242-3221 (1:134/77)