Möte WIN95_OLD1, 70272 texter
Skriven 2005-03-02 12:27:37 av Gerald Miller (1:342/512)
   Kommentar till text 3249 av CHARLES ANGELICH (1:123/140)
Ärende: IEXPLORER problem
=========================
Hello CHARLES,

    Responding to a post in the WIN95 area:
    On Friday February 04 2005 at 22:47,
    CHARLES ANGELICH [1:123/140] wrote to GERALD MILLER,
    about: IEXPLORER problem

[snip]

 GM>> Maybe it should be rewritten for clarity? Internet Explorer v5.0
 GM>> being the space and resource hogging klunker?
 CA> No, it is quite clear that Netscape v4.08 is a space hog and a klunker
 CA> when compared to Opera even though it has a higher level (newer)
 CA> version of javascripting.

See?  I had to ask.  I had presumed you meant that IE was the pig.

I so seldom use the Web browser from the WfW311 box, I _prefer_ to use the
FTP client from Total Commander.  If there's something that I require that
can't be obtained via the FTP client (or the limited abilities of the Web
browser on the WfW311 box), then I'll fire up either the WinXPP or Win2K
machine, get what I need and then move it across the network to the WfW311
box.

 GM>> I have 128MB of RAM in this box and Wfw311 doesn't see most of it.
 CA> I'm not sure what the maximum memory WFWG can use is but it is first a
 CA> DOS limitation and _then_ possibly a WFWG limitation. Probably either
 CA> 32meg or 64meg but I'm not sure at the moment.

Well, I'm using 16MB of the "extra" RAM for a virtual disk...  I could
probably use the driver that I got from one of your PEEPHOLE archives to
adjust the size of the RAMdisk 'on the fly', but for now, the M$ product
works well enough...  B-)

[snip]

 GM>> It was never my intention to use the Wfw311 system for any type of
 GM>> mail services, and if I _really_ require a 'newer' level of
 GM>> javascripting in the future, I know who to ask. ;-))
 CA> Hotmail is just one example. Many MSN.com websites will not function
 CA> including the Microsoft knowledgebase webpages. Not all of them just
 CA> some of them.

Well, as many can likely testify, it is getting more difficult to access a
lot of sites when one uses legacy software...  <g>

 GM>> --8<--cut

 CA>>> WFWG ranks near the top for 16 bit OS from those that I have had the
 CA>>> opportunity to test. It is _complete_ where others are 'beta' and
 CA>>> were never finished.
 GM>> Yes, I think I may have encountered some of the betas in my attempts
 GM>> to network the DOS box...  You have to imagine the warm fuzzy feeling
 GM>> I experienced when I was finally able to ping the XPP box.
 CA> Yes, I remember how it felt to finally get DOS to do TCP/IP many years
 CA> ago.

I would have much preferred to do the 'network thing' through DOS but the
complexity was so overwhelming that the easiest route for me was to install
the Windows for Workgroup version 3.11.  The whole Windows 3.x networking
concept became very clear _AFTER_ I located that website in Scotland!

[snip]

 CA>>> I have five computers. This W2K has Opera, Mozilla (full), FireFox,
 CA>>> IEx v6, and LINKS browsers. I have LYNX, Arachne, Minuet, NetTamer,
 CA>>> and other DOS browsers on my other computers.
 GM>> Sure glad I don't have to pay your power bill! I only have three
 GM>> computers online -- the other four aren't worth the effort to haul to
 GM>> the recycling depot.
 CA> I haven't tranferred all of my software to newer media and am holding
 CA> on to legacy systems to make that tranfer as painless as possible. :-)

Evidently, you choose to ignore the "no pain, no gain" adage. <g>  I have
to buy some more CD/RW disks, the CD/R are a waste of my time, they
eventually become coasters...

[snip]

 GM>> The standardization process is an ongoing project.  I Googled
 GM>> "Request For Comments" and found 27,100,000 possibilities -- the
 GM>> "RFCs" are the bases of the Internet and the many protocols in use
 GM>> today.  One of the prime sites would be:
 GM>>     http://www.rfc-editor.org/
 CA> Yes, everyone wants his/her favorite protocol to be used and named
 CA> after them (naturally).  It's an ego trip not an attempt to improve
 CA> anything.

That's understandable, the 'ego trip' is a self-preservation mechanism.
The protocols are continually evolving and will always be seeking new and
improved techniques.  Eventually, the good ones become "standards" and the
old ones become "historic/legacy".

Want an eye-opener?  Do a Google for "IPv6".  128bit IP addressing - wow,
what a concept!  IPv4 and IPv6 are protocols.....

[snip]

 GM>> I needed to copy "most" of my DOS files to one of my Windoooz boxes
 GM>> in order to perform a backup -- can't get tapes for my Colorado
 GM>> Memory System tape drive anymore.
 CA> I have some of those QIC tapes and the tape drive stored somewhere. I
 CA> got sick of all the errors and the noise. I hate that sound.

One of these days, I'll have to clean all the "dust bunnies" from the tape
drive and _try_ to restore some of the tapes to archive onto some CDs.  I
have my doubts -- the tape stretches, becomes brittle and will likely have
the errors that you talk about *_AND_*, I hate the sound also!

 GM>> DOS box doesn't have a CD burner (although it does have a couple of
 GM>> USB ports that I've never used because I'm unaware of any drivers
 GM>> that would work in the DOS/Wfw311 environment), and once a month, I
 GM>> perform a DOS backup to one of my Windoooz boxes to burn a couple of
 GM>> rewritable CDs.
 CA> There are DOS USB drivers linked at my website but I have not tried
 CA> them because I have nothing that uses USB ports.

Charles Scaglione e-mailed some drivers to me.  Been too busy trying to
"stabilize" my Win2K system to test the drivers that he so kindly sent me.

 GM>> I wanted to have a better understanding of networking and the
 GM>> different protocols involved, so I read "TCP/IP for Dummies" (5th
 GM>> Edition) written by Candace Leiden and Marshall Wilensky -- Wiley
 GM>> Publishing, Inc., ISBN: 0-7645-1760-0.

 GM>> It was a very informative, "lighthearted" read that cut through all
 GM>> the gobble-d'gook and I would recommend the book to anyone with an
 GM>> interest in the Internet, networking or the various protocols. The
 GM>> book also included a CD-ROM disk with lots of freeware / shareware
 GM>> tools and utilities.
 CA> Each year I think of a new reason not to care about networking.  I'm
 CA> not convinced I really need it here for anything that would justify
 CA> the effort.

Why Charles, that's _almost_ a luddite philosophy... <G,D&R>

I don't believe that you are absolutely inflexible with that outlook.  All
I have to do is peruse your web sites and read the reams of help that you
have given to people over the years.  Now, go wash your hands with some
very strong soap for typing those words....  ;-)))  Networking means many
things!

           Cheers ... Gerald

... My wife and I were happy for twenty years ....then we met.
--- GoldED+/DPMI32 v1.1.5-040330 [msg of Wednesday March 02 2005]
 * Origin: If it's a law, don't ask why, just memorize it. (1:342/512)