Möte LINUX, 22010 texter
Skriven 2004-10-13 02:05:00 av Chip Hearn (1:3613/52)
   Kommentar till text 1615 av Maurice Kinal (1:153/401.1)
Ärende: Re: Getting grubby
==========================
-=> Maurice Kinal Scribbled to Chip Hearn <=-

 MK> Hey Chip!

 MK> Oct 12 00:54 04, Chip Hearn wrote to Maurice Kinal:

 CH> Well, I'm not a "Pirate" as you seem to think, I'm also not a
 CH> Commercial operation, but I do video editing.

 MK> I didn't say you were but I know that most Windows users who are
 MK> interested in that type of stuff are.  Same with kids on the internet
 MK> who cut and paste stuff into a wordprocessor to print off school
 MK> assignments.

Just clearing the air.  :)

 CH> Some of my clients are
 CH> Lawyers and they take video depositions, and need to be able to edit
 CH> the
 CH> depositions before the deposition is submitted into evidence in
 CH> court.

 MK> I suppose so.  Not a problem, is it?

Hasn't been yet.

 CH> Because of my knowledge in this area, and being a musician, I also do
 CH> video's for local bands and such.  Of course, I could use MAC which
 CH> is
 CH> better adapted to video than either Linux or Windows.

 MK> Makes sense to me.  Good idea.

 CH> But, for the
 CH> price... Windows is alot cheaper in all areas.  Yea, there are Linux
 CH> applications, but, they are not free, nor cheap. Both of which
 CH> Windows
 CH> applications are.

 MK> Yep.  Again, not a problem is it?  Anyhow I do know that movies like
 MK> "Star Wars", or instance, were made using a Cray, using Unix.  I've
 MK> also been to supercomputer trade shows in the past where all these
 MK> types of graphics, digital movies such as a Venus fly-by made from
 MK> satellite radar data, were made using Unix software on a supercomputer.
 MK>  Not one bit of MS software to be seen.

Yeap, and they had a budget in the 6 and 7 digits.  :)

 CH> Only to you are they "Broken".  To me, they are faster loading,
 CH> faster
 CH> drawing.

 MK> Sounds good.  None of that matters to me.

 CH> I'm not an accountant, but I'm a small business owner and I have to
 CH> do
 CH> my own accounting.  GNU Cash, which is the only software currently
 CH> available on the same level as say Quickbooks or Quicken, is sorely
 CH> lacking.

 MK> No doubt about that here.  I also doubt it ever will be but you never
 MK> know for sure.

 CH> I currenly use the Pinnacle hardware/software, which works quite
 CH> well,
 CH> and is very easy to use.  Its also not very expensive in the realm
 CH> that
 CH> its intended.

 MK> Right.  My neighbour has that as well.

 CH> Any recent hardware.  Why do you call it crap?  Its the latest and
 CH> greatest.  Its incredible hardware here lately...  Video cards with
 CH> 256+
 CH> megs of memory...  how is that crap?

 MK> 8M is more then enough for me.  I got video working on framebuffers, no
 MK> X in sight.  Works excellent.  Also got mplayer doing the DVD stuff but
 MK> had to use a cvs version of DirectFB to get a proper mga driver working
 MK> with the 2.6 kernels again.  The mga_vid supplied by mplayer works
 MK> excellent with 2.4 kernels. Great stuff.  Way better then anything on
 MK> Windows without doubt.  You can keep that latest and greatest.  I'll
 MK> stick with my Matrox G200.  I really like it.

I haven't moved into the 2.6 kernels in Debian yet.  My slackware box is
more of a testing system and a regular use system, so, I can't say much
about the 2.6 yet.  Maybe I'll take some time and play with the Slacky
box.  :)

 CH> No, I'm mistaken, it hasn't lit a candle yet. :)

 MK> For the kiddie toys you are right.

 CH> Here you are probably sadly mistaken.  I've been in the business for
 CH> very long time.  I was running AIX back in the 70's, before this
 CH> upstart Linux ever showed its face.

 MK> Sounds good.  How come you still aren't?

I still work on AIX machines.  Have a bank here that just can't live
without its... Of course, they are the same bank that still runs a
system with OS/2 Warp 3.  :)

 CH> So, don't tell me to stick with Windows.

 MK> :-)  Hey it got a rise out of you.

I'd prefer to live in the Lnux world myself, but, can't be a turtle and
make the dough...  Limiting oneself to Linux only, and you live in an
area that everyone uses Windows...  As a computer consultant, or Guru as
most call me, that would definetly be the end.

 CH> Its not killing it, its called "End of Life".

 MK> Ah!  Another good idea.

 CH> Its similar to the Linux updates... You have Slackware 3.5,
 CH> great,
 CH> you have Slackware 10, great.

 MK> Yeah.  That happens.

 CH> So, if you were running Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, and upgraded to
 CH> XP,
 CH> so what?

 MK> The cost as well as they have yet to provide anything of interest to
 MK> me. Compilers cost way too much money especially seeing it won't be
 MK> supported for long.

The point is, that we all upgrade... Linux, Windows, OS/2, MAC...  So,
you going to continue to support a product you put out many years
before, just because their "Might" be someone still using the old
version?  You've spent many man hours into upgrading, fixing, patching,
reparing, whatever, but yet you would have to keep staff on to support
some old product. The cost factor alone would make this impossible.
Lets look at your point above... compilers... Do you use the same
version of compiler that you used when you first started?

 CH> Then, lets look at the file systems... in Linux, there was EXT2, then
 CH> EXT3 and now Riserfs.  In MS's world there was Fat16, Fat32, and
 CH> NTFS.

 MK> Not comparable methinks but I do get the idea.

 CH> As in Linux, if you compile your system to do so, you can read all
 CH> three in the newer versions.  Same thing in MS...  You going to tell
 CH> me
 CH> that a Slackware 3.5 system is backwards compatiable?  Yea, right.

 MK> No but my hack is compatible to anything coming from a 3.5 box.  Not an
 MK> issue here.

 CH> And why would I even consider sending them to you?  You wouldn't have
 CH> anywhere near the cash to cover it.  :)

 MK> Probably.   Even if I did I doubt they'd have what I'm looking for.

They <my clients> have one very Green object.  And that is what everyone
is looking for.  :)

 CH> Keep dreaming then.  As the threat grows, the usage grows, the
 CH> exploits
 CH> found, the nightmare that MS is going through now will repeat in
 CH> history
 CH> on the Linux side.

 MK> Possibly.

 CH> Haha... oh... thats funny... Label makers...

 MK> That is what we used them for way back when.  No serious computing ever
 MK> happened on them.

 CH> And how would you propose to get a client to agree to switch from a
 CH> Windows netowrk to a Linux network.

 MK> I wouldn't.  I tell them to stick with Windows.

 CH> Come on... Its your elitism speaking again...

 MK> If you say so.  I use Linux because it does what I need it to do.  I've
 MK> always preferred Unix and C.  Those both happen in Linux.  It is all
 MK> there and if it isn't I take the time to make it happen if it is worth
 MK> it to me to have it happen.

 CH> Take the
 CH> blinders
 CH> off... over 90% of the world is using Windows networked.

 MK> Right on!  I wish them all the best.

 CH> that many be wrong.  Are you proposing that your smarter than 90% of
 CH> the
 CH> world?  haha... I think not.

 MK> No.  I don't really care one way or the other.  Should I?

 CH> What distro do you use?

 MK> A hacked Slackware.  I like it muchly.  Having a few problems but am
 MK> ironing them out as I go along.

 CH> I do, if you'll notice the tag line below.... Even my Notebook that I
 CH> use to read/reply to messages on my BBS is Linux.  :)

 MK> Yeah it works really good for this for sure.  Way better then any
 MK> Windows box I have ever run across.

My notebook is setup to be a network tester... I have every network
sensing/detecting program I can find for Linux on it.  Its helped me out
many times.  Able to leap tall buildings and all... That's my notebooks
main usage.  On the side, I ftp in and download a QWK packet and do my
mail while I'm waiting for the network scans to finish.  :)

Sniper
Killed In Action BBS, telnet://kia.zapto.org
Home of the Unofficial SynchroNet Support Network.
download the info pack at any of the below sites:
http://www.chcomputer.net/USSNET.ZIP
http://www.ussnet.org
telnet://kia.zapto.org

... The man should be hung from his TagLines!
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.45
--- SBBSecho 2.00-Win32
 * Origin: Killed in Action BBS  telnet://kia.zapto.org (1:3613/52)